• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unleaded gasoline has melted rubber fuel lines

marcoleo

NAXJA Forum User
I've an '89 4.0 XJ, all the rubber on the fuel line has been melted by unleaded green fuel (the only one available in italy), anyone has the same problem?
Now everything has been replaced with proper rubber lines, my concerning is now with the injector o-ring (dangerous if them start to spill on the exaust), also them having the melting problem?
If yes wich part no. I can order for replacement?
I don't want to open the injector fuel line, in order to check the status, otherwise I've to change those o-ring anyway

This happened back in the 90's here in the US, had to do with the alcohol content. Two guys from one of our artillery batteries in south new jersey lost their entire fuel systems on brand new Toryota forrunners, they had to fight to get them repaired under warranty. I don't remember the exact mix but the results were replace everything from the injectors back to, and including, the fuel pump. At the time it made news because it had happened to several HUNDRED owners but these were the only two I knew first hand. Here I think it was ARCO that was pumping it because most of the problems happened in Philadelphia and southern new jersey which is Atlantic Richfield CO territory and where they also have/had a refinery.
I'd see if they are pumping E85 over there or even E10 or E15, alot of places do it to cut down on winter emissions, here it's MBTE which is slowly being outlawed..
All new O rings and rubber are supposed to be immune from that now though, I think.

The pump were not affected by the problem, I've a broken one, put under fuel for two weeks, inspected but nothing was happened.
Maybe to be safe and avoid possible fire I shall order also a new o-ring set, anyone have the dimension, because I would like to have the set ready before open the injector line

Back