• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for tires: Trxus?

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are some existing threads about these tires, but I was hoping for some more specific info, so bear with me.

Through a series of screw ups and bad luck, I'm at the point where I need new tires. I've pretty much made up my mind, but I still have reservations. I'm 95% there on a set of 34x12.50 Trxus M/Ts, but coming from SSRs and TSL Radials, I'm concerned I'll be losing the great mud and slop traction that I enjoyed with those tires.

I know the Trxus's work great as an all around tire, but I'm the kind of guy (not to sound arrogant) who always takes the hardest line through the biggest holes, etc.

One of the things that gives me pause is that I see them primarily on DD rigs, and most of them seem to be in the smaller sizes, i.e. 31x10.50. So...who wheels these tires hard? How do they do in mud?

Thanks in advance.

-----Matt-----

P.S. See the football sized bulge in the side wall? Yeah, that's why I'm switching.

1166386983.jpg

1166386481.jpg

tsgolo said:
I've been running 33x12.5 TruXXus MTs for about 30K on my DD. The TruXXus MTs work great, in my opinion, for a dd. The do pretty well in mud, better than the BFG MTs that I had, and drive well without being too loud on the road. I go off road 4-5 times a year right now.
dn
Yeah, that's kinda the thing; I know they do great on pavement, and they seem to hold up really well to street use. Problem is, I go wheeling literally almost every weekend. I'm just worried how they'll do on primarily a trail rig.

I am glad to know, however, that they perform better than the BFGs; I had considered going that route also. Thanks for your input.

-----Matt-----

Had to throw in the Makers didn't you. :D You have seen my old ones perform. They have done awesome on the trails around here. Haven't had them in the snow, but should do great considering the factory siping that is done to them. One did get a sidewall puncture in 2 places, from popping it off the bead last Evans run and driving on it about 20 yards. I do wish they would last a bit longer on the road, but a welded rear probably doesnt help. Ive wheeled mine hard, apparent to all the body damage. Ive been in some deep mud holes near Lake Tapps, and have pulled through without a problem. Rocks, they are great. They form around objects better than the TSL's I have now(bias ply's). And quiet on the road as well. Maybe Randy will chime in, he has wheeled his all over the US.

Can't say enough good stuff about them. Best radial tire I've ever experienced for multi-use with hard wheeling.

However: look at the price comparison between the 34's and 35's, vs. the 33s and 34s. It's like a few bucks more per corner to go to the 35s, and a lot more to jump from 33s to 34s. I don't know why that is, but think really hard about whether 34 is really the size you wanna invest in.

vetteboy said:
Can't say enough good stuff about them. Best radial tire I've ever experienced for multi-use with hard wheeling.

However: look at the price comparison between the 34's and 35's, vs. the 33s and 34s. It's like a few bucks more per corner to go to the 35s, and a lot more to jump from 33s to 34s. I don't know why that is, but think really hard about whether 34 is really the size you wanna invest in.
I've thought about the 35"s, but I'm running a D30 and 8.25, both locked. A little scary as it is. But I know what you mean...it is tempting.

RE the price, I'm getting 4 34x12.50 for $750, so either way it's hard to go wrong. I'm also betting my old 33x12.50 SSRs will be comparable in size and weight to the Trxus's (most people see my rig and assume I'm running 35" right now, just due to how big the SSRs look).

I've seen Randy's rig in some pretty impressive situations, but he's about the only one I've seen running them that aggressively. I'd be interested to hear how they've held up.

Thanks for the insight, evryone.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
...Problem is, I go wheeling literally almost every weekend. I'm just worried how they'll do on primarily a trail rig....
-----Matt-----
I agree and I would not run the TruXXus tires on rig like that, especially with your wheeling style. In fact, you might consider going bias ply since the sidewall is usually tougher.
dn

That's not a bad price...I got my 33s for just under $150 each. From that same place it would be around $740 for the 34s, and $760 for the 35s.

I still ran them for a few months when my rig was trailer-only, and broke many parts without harming a tire. Ended up selling them for a pretty decent amount because they all stayed in nice shape, and our rocks are not friendly out here. They hold up much better than any BFG or MT/R does...can't really think of any other radial that I think would do better short of the SSRs. Maybe the IROK radials but those are a lot more expensive and don't come in regular wheel sizes.

I bought a set of Swamper TSL Radials 3 years ago and had the same sidewall bulge on two of my tires within 5K miles of owning them! Two trips off-road, one at the Badlands and one at Windrock and I am buying two new tires.

You could say that it somewhat soured me on things from Interco. Having said that I have considered the TRXUS as well for a replacement tire down the road. But the hit and miss balancing issues and crappy construction have made me extremely leery.

I am biding my time for now seen as I do have a second set of DD tires. Currently I have a list of about 6 tires I am interested in and am waiting to see what the new BFG MT comes out like as well.

vetteboy said:
That's not a bad price...I got my 33s for just under $150 each. From that same place it would be around $740 for the 34s, and $760 for the 35s.

I still ran them for a few months when my rig was trailer-only, and broke many parts without harming a tire. Ended up selling them for a pretty decent amount because they all stayed in nice shape, and our rocks are not friendly out here. They hold up much better than any BFG or MT/R does...can't really think of any other radial that I think would do better short of the SSRs. Maybe the IROK radials but those are a lot more expensive and don't come in regular wheel sizes.
Good to know, thanks. What are you running now, out of curiosity?

I really liked my SSRs for most things, just they wore REALLY fast (50% in 8k miles!) and of course the sidewall issue. I just can't bring myself to go the same route again.

-----Matt-----

Matt

I have some news on my Truxus you maybe interested in.

On our last trip to Evans I killed one of my tires. I had a vibe on my way home. No big deal, I burped my tires a couple of times that day, so I must have gotten alittle mud inside or so I thought.

So about a week ago I decide to check it out. I look at the inside of my rear tire. A large rip along the bead. 40% of the bead and side wall have ripped from each other. There was only a single layer of rubber holding air in my tire.:D

If I can break a Truxus you should stay away. You know how much of a pu$$y wheeler I am.

So I am in the market as well with either a pair of Truxus, or maybe a set of Maxxis.

I loved my ssrs until i noticed a similar buld in the tread on the drivers rear. They were to soft, they cupped easy and wore fast but boy were they good in the mud. I didnt mid the down sides to the tire until the blister. I replaced them with BFG A/Ts which are good on road but i still miss them off road. I'd say stay with the most agfessive, I wish I had.
-Steve D.

Well, thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and ordered a set of 34x12.50 Trxus M/Ts. I'll be sure to post up my thoughts on how they work after I've wheeled with them a little We've got a snow run planned the 30th, so I should have a good chance to work them out. I just hope they work as well as my SSRs:

matt_buried.jpg

Again, thanks for the input.

-----Matt-----

Back