• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-gear cost

jakecj7

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post to the forum, so be kind please. I'm currently running a rusty's 3" kit with 31s. Right now it's my DD and weekend wheeler but I'd like to slowly transform it into being capable of running in some off road races. I've been thinking about regearing so I could go up a few tire sizes and give me some better performance. What could I expect for a regear to cost me? What would be the best ration for 32s or 33s? Thanks for the help.

Beat to death, but for 32-33 I think 4.88:1 is the way to go (4.56:1 max if you have a Chrysler 8.25 rear & plan to keep it)

There is a local shop who will do the setup work for $250 plus parts per axle (IIRC it's $350 per if the axles are under the vehicle) YMMV since labor rates vary quite a bit.

Parts needed are at least 2 gear sets and 2 install kits (bearings, shims, seals) and possibly carriers. Guestimate $275 per axle for new gears & kits.

The 8.25 rear uses the same carrier up through 4.56:1 ratio. A 44 rear needs a different carrier to go lower (higher #) than 3.73:1. The front HP30 needs a different carrier if you go lower than 3.55:1, and maxes out at 4.88:1.

Open carriers are approx $50 each new, and drop-in lockers to stuff in there start at approx $250 each. Full case lockers are approx $450 and up, depending which flavor.

If you wanted to save yourself some dough, you could pull your front axles shafts just before you take it to the shop...that would cut down on labor time.

Back