• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas gauge broke??

xjhd4me

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a 97 2 door 4.0 5speed and for the first time today completely filled the gas tank, my problem is the gauge now reads a little more than 3/4 full, is it overfull and not reading properly, is this normal for this vehicle, or is it just plain broke, it seemed to work fine before i filled it, ive only had it for eight days so i still have lot of things to work out

I think you are in luck, the 97's had a recall for the senders, the resistors delaminated off the sender unit. My 98 does the same thing but was not covered by the lawsuit that got the recall done. The lawsuit was 'lone woman, late at nite, deserted back roads, runs out of gas and gets mugged/raped/murdered, etc' due to not knowing she was low on gas...

Alldata has the listing...

I have a 2000 that if I put the key in and start the vechile quickly the gas gauge will not work. If I put the key in and turn it to just the acc then start the gauge will work fine ????????????

On my 2000 4.0, I have found that if I turn the ign on and wait for the computer to read everything before starting the eng, (all dash panel lights go off) that everything works much better.
Just jumping in and starting it, it would have a miss. Turn it off and wait for computer to read the ignition system and everything works fine. I was told to do this always, by a jeep dealer mechanic. Hard habit to get into but my jeep reminds me everytime I forget.
THEN! if the previous owner always ran on the bottom half of the tank, then the float may be hanging up. I never let mine get below 1/2 tank unless on a long trip.

Back