• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car stereo Q's

XxAdioxX

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I'm planning on upgrading my stereo in my newly acquired '96 Cherokee, but don't know a whole lot about stereos. I'm looking for a cheap but decent system. I already have a really kickass and expensive system in my other car, a Trans Am, and just want a respectible system in the cherokee because it will now be my DD. I only paid $1100 for the car, so I'm hoping to keep the stereo tab under $400, if thats possible. I'm thinking of two different routes, and want to decide before I start ordering stuff.

One way I'm thinking is to get a pretty good head unit and then good speakers and thats it. I think for $400 I can get some decent stuff. I only listen to rock and don't need a ton of bass but still like a decent amount of bass, so I'm afraid that I may not be enitrely happy with this setup.

Another route I was thinking was to get a full system with a head unit, speakers, amp and sub. I don't know if I'll be able to stay in my budget with all this, and if I do it might all be cheaper stuff that wouldn't be as good as a decent head unit and decent speakers.

So any car audio guys out there, lets see what you think and if you have any tried and true setups that are similar to what I'm looking for. I've been searching for a while and havn't been able to get some good answers, and I apologize in advance because I'm sure this question has been asked before.

Thanks for any info. :)

I would go witth just the nice head unit and decent speakers. I went this route and couldnt be happier. Oh and from personal experience, make sure you know what your doing when you wire it all up :)

Any suggestions on a good setup for a good speaker/head unit combo? I've heard I should get component speakers.

I've also heard that Sony's xplode line wan't very good. Was I told right or wrong?

I think it is fine, except for the annoying beeping that sounds when you turn off your vehicle, "alerting" you to remove the head display from the unit....

Sony claims it cannot be turned off, but I know a girl with that model, and it doesn't beep....what gives? She had it installed, so maybe the shop had a secret....good luck getting that info though, nobody ever knows.

I'm running stock speakers too.

i have the same head unit as Blaine B. I have no complaints.

i like pioneer also. even their low end is fairly decent.

i'm workin on the stereo in the blazer. but am fuddled.....stuff isnt workin right, so here in a couple of hours might take myself off to bestbuy/circuit city and get it wired right.

ladywolf said:
i like pioneer also. even their low end is fairly decent.

i'm workin on the stereo in the blazer. but am fuddled.....stuff isnt workin right, so here in a couple of hours might take myself off to bestbuy/circuit city and get it wired right.

Are you planning on coming over the pass anytime soon, if so i'll take a look at it for you.(been installing for about 16 yrs now)

Sean

god i hope not after thursday. passes were horrid.

i'll be back in feb tho, when i move. might just fork out the money and be done w/ it. however i'll take ya up on it in feb when i might try to put more speakers in the jeep:D

ladywolf said:
god i hope not after thursday. passes were horrid.

i'll be back in feb tho, when i move. might just fork out the money and be done w/ it. however i'll take ya up on it in feb when i might try to put more speakers in the jeep:D

Sounds good,look forward to meeting ya.

Sean

www.crutchfield.com - I went with them for both install kits/harnesses for my XJs. They also provide some great wiring diagrams and diagnostics if needed. I've used mid-grade Pioneer units on both XJs and never had problems with them...

Blaine B. said:
I have a Sony "Xplod" CDX-GT200. It was like $119.00. Sounds fantastic! Beats the crap out of the AIWA CDC-MP3 that was in the Jeep!
me too!threw in 2 6x9 kickers for 55 bucks and 2 decent mids for 25.my stereo kicks ass for 200 bucks!at circuit city in tulsa they installed it for free.all i know about installing is the yellow is memory and the red is power and those 2 always go to the pos.side of the battery.the wires coming out of the head should say left speaker,right speaker,ect.

Back