• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Determining Best Pinion angle on Front

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting ready to setup the front driveline with a HP44. No brackets so I can set pinion where I need it.
its a HP44, and about 10" lift.
My T-case will sit about 1-3/16" lower.
How do I determine how far to point the lil pig ?
thanks

Bracketry has nothing to do with it.The fact is you still have to make a compromise between pinion angle and castor!

Right, castor is going to be your limiting factor. With a HP axle you dont really need to rotate it more over the stock preset pinion angle. At least that's my experience with a 3/4 ton Ferd D44 & about 12" of lift.

The CV can take all the pinion angle you can give it, so if you wanted to cut the ears & rotate the housing to an ideal of around 10-13* max. you'd be way more ambitious than I am.

THE_OWL said:
Makes sense now that my axle came in today.
Ive decided on perfectly flat

Perfectly flat what?????????

Your not making much sense here!What pinion angle?What castor?They have to equal 9 for the HP as I recall!

RCP Phx said:
They have to equal 9 for the HP as I recall!

That only counts on high pinion D-30's. Different vehicles have different castor/pinion splits. It would be great if we had a chart listing the common ones.

Hooter dude:
"so my steering arms and tie rod are level"
That's the last thing you want to worry about. Set your axle on jack stands with about 5° or 6° of castor and then check to see if you still have enough pinion angle. If it's way off, you may want to consider spinning your tubes. Judging from the comments of vintagespeed, it may be right on :)

Im not smart enough to do that.
Castor Camber isnt my field.
this was a custom made axle sitting under an early bronco
the previous owner did all the work

Back