• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ. Weird Staring Issue. Kinda a dead battery, but not?

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Hey Guys,

Weird one or I would ask something about starting. Anyway Friend's 00 XJ is having a strange starting issue. He turns the key, gets half a crank and then the dead battery clicking noise. So OK, dead battery, but then you just stop turning the key, and try again, lay half way down onto the gas and it starts. Volts immediatly jump to 14, so the alt is fine. This is EVERY morning. Sometimes when it does start, you have to keep your foot on the pedal for 5 minutes or so, or the Jeep will immediatly shut off.

Anyway, simple dead battery or what? I would think that it wouldn't start at all but it does, which is just frikkin weird.

Thanks,

Todd

Sounds to me like a bad ground issue. I would start by replacing the ground from the battery to the chassis. Then move on to the block to chassis grounds if that didn't help. I would also have the battery tested, and finely the starter tested. Both out of vehicle.

Something like what I was leaning towards, but figured I would run it by everyone. Do the 00's have the small ass ground strap running from a head bolt to the firewall like my 93 does? I never really looked on his. If so I will start there, or just add one, and replace the batt to fender connection as well. I tell you what, this 00 that he has is such a nightmare, I'll take my 93 anyday of the week over a 00.

ya know i had this same prob with my 00 but i was told its a fuel pressure issue. well at least the "stand on the gas for 5 mins" the rest sounds like a ground issue, just my $.02...

make sure your battery terminals are actually getting good conduction. next time it acts up, get a volt meter, first check the voltage from one terminal to the other. then check the volatge from one battery rerminal clamp to the other. my 2000 freaked out last month and it was only poor conduction between the positive battery post and clamp even tho there was NO corrosion visible.

Back