• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Code 15

flash2pablo

NAXJA Forum User
Last night my CHeck Engine light came on.
The only thing i can think of is that it might be a code 15. I am going to check at lunch.

This is what the code means:
No signal detected from speed sensor.

The reason i think this may be the problem is that two days ago, i replaced the speedometer gear in the transfer case and since then my speedometer has not been working.

The only problem i can think of is that I did not unhook the battery when i changed the sensor and i may have fried something....But it didn't make any noise, so i don't know.

If anyone has any ideas of how to get my speedometer back working or how to fix a Code 15, I would be so greatful, i am hoping to take the Jeep on our christmas trip on thursday.

Thanks guys,

PBen

My bad it is a 1996 Cherokee, 4.0, Ax15, 231 Tcase.
Hope this helps, i am going to check to make sure it is the code 15 at lunch.

PBen

Ok, I checked, my jeep and it came back with three codes.
Code 12 - Battery disconnected.
Code 15 - Speed Sensor.
Code 42 - Automatic Shutdown Relay.

The third code is the only one that i am worried about and i don't know how to fix. Please if any body has any insight into the Automatic Shut Down Relay. Or what i could possibly do to chekc it. It would be a huge help.

PBen

The code for the speed sensor will appear if the speedometer isn't working. Loosen the bolt holding the sensor in, and rotate it. The sensor is offset, so as you rotate it the gears will mesh and then come apart again. Make sure the gears are actually making contact.

As for the code for the ASD...I suggest this. Fix the speedometer and then, since you have a 1996, get an OBDII scanner on there and pull the OBDII codes, as they're MUCH easier to work with. If your ASD wasn't working, the Jeep wouldn't run...so I have no idea what that code is there for.

I personally wouldn't even bother with flash codes on an OBDII vehicle honestly. They're way too vague in a lot of cases.

Back