• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Military tail lights

CreativeSN

NAXJA Forum User
Btw I searched and couldn't find any threads on this.
I was looking at the M416 trailer thread and saw this picture posted by GSequoia:
5ec9_1_b.JPG

Then I went on ebay and found just one used pair. \/ \/ \/
7535_1_sbl.JPG

I see they are a little different but the overall shape and design is the same. Has anybody put these or lights like them on an XJ? Does anybody know what the three different lights do (red light functions as brake and blinker, reverse, running, etc.)? In other words, would they be street legal?
I believe these are 24v assemblies. What would be involved in switching to 12v?

These would be pretty badass on an OD XJ

I have a friend with a restored military jeep. All I know for sure is that the middle 'row' consists of a prism and light. It is meant to run with the 'blackout' settings the military jeeps have. When you are too close you see 4 red lines, too far away you see 3, and when just the right distance away you see 2 red lines. It was so that a convoy of jeeps under blackout mode could follow the vehicle in front of them without using headlights.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Also, they may possibly be 6v if they are old enough.

Joe

man i like those i painted my xj OD green and those would be bitchen

The big/top light has two bulbs; running lights/brake/turn signal. The second lens is blackout brake and the bottom is blackout running(white). Easy to insert 12v bulbs, street legal, you can set up bottom white lens as backup light but not very bright (but covers the legal aspect).
Dont need to OD it since you can pull the lens cover off and match to body color.
Should be cheap to locate surplus (try Mil Veh magazine). The newest style uses LEDs but 24v so useless for this app.

you can install a 24v power supply to the rear lights only. Can be found at radio shack. 12v to 24v is what you are looking for.

I put these in a CJ using the plastic buckets originally design for Hummers....you don't need a power supply/convertor...just change the bulbs(12V). And the poster is correct stating the "cateyes" are for judging distance. Technically they are almost legal, you need some sort of sidemarker and some sort of refective material i.e. reflector as the military taillights do not have. I had no problems at inspection even without sidemarkers and reflectors. They are practically bomb proof but be careful when buying them from ebay etc. as there are different manufacturers and different series, some are plastic, some aluminum.

-Ron

Shogun said:
The newest style uses LEDs but 24v so useless for this app.

Thats why I said he would need a powersupply from 12v to 24v, cause unless you are good I doubt you will find the right size LED bulbs for this in a 12v. You might, but I was giving a option.

I looked around and found that these appear to be the same lights as the ones on the HMMWV as shown here:
mil-rear.jpg
milsrear.jpg

I would assume they have the same blackout lights and everything as the older M37 style ones like in my original post but I'm waiting on a call from Ordnance Unlimited who supposedly has these for about $25! I'll ask them to be sure.

The set I bought for my CJ years ago were from them(Ordinace Unlimited) and at the $25 price but that was years ago....Keep me posted if they are still selling them.

-Ron

Back