• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My pilot bearing is stuck

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
'89 Pewwwwjoe tranny. Yes, I'm still working on replacing my clutch. I went to Shucks and got a pilot bearing removal tool, but I still can't seem to get the pilot bearing out. The rig has 180k on it, but after pulling the tranny and looking at the flywheel and clutch disc, they have obviously been replaced. I'm going to assume that they replaced the pilot bearing when they did it as well, but I sure as hell can't get it out. Any ideas?

i have used a slide hammer in the past. works like a charm. specially made just for pullin pilot bearings. mike

I ended up trashing the bearing but did eventualy get it out with the puller. Make sure the puller is inserted all the way, is expanded correctly, and dont care if you F it up cuz it's going in the garbage once you get it out. Good luck.

I have always used slices of bread and a dowle pin or socket extension. Shove the bread in the hole and hit it with the rod or extension. just like the grease trick it will force the pilot bearing to pop out except there is no mess when you are done.

Congrats on getting the bearing out BTW

CanMan said:
Fill up the opening with some wheel berring grease. Take the clutch alignment tool, and force it in. The grease will act like a press, and force the berring out. It has worked for me in the past, FWIW.

...this does not work so well with the hollow plastic clutch alignment tools....by the way...I ended up forking out for the proper "tool". $40 for 10 strokes on a special slide hammer... yikes.

TheNerd said:
...this does not work so well with the hollow plastic clutch alignment tools....by the way...I ended up forking out for the proper "tool". $40 for 10 strokes on a special slide hammer... yikes.

Id hope it wouldnt work with that hollow alignment tool. :rolleyes:

Most clutch alignment tools are solid. Find one that is. But who gives a fawk now, he got it out.

Back