• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4in lift on a 99 XJ question

xjAdam99

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to lift my jeep again this summer...I have a 2.5in lift on my jeep right now and im running 31s...I wanna go bigger but i dont wanna go completely broke...i go to paragon maybe everyother months and i only do high greens and low blue trails..nothing to hard....I heard if you lift you put a 4 inch lift on the new xjs you can get away with a 1in t case drop kit... I dont have the money for an sye kit and new drive shafts... will dropping my t case help out?

1999's have a high pinion front axle - you shouldn't need to do any thing to the front d/shaft.-------------

Again, you shouldn't need a SYE. Talk it over with RE since I've found they are very knowledgable and have good customer service.

The only way to know if a drop will work on yours is to try it. My 99 still has vibes at 3" with a 1" drop. My drop kit was free(scrap aluminum) so it was worth a try.

I have a 98, Tried the 3.5 in. first had vibes even with a tcase drop.
S.Y.E. solved it all though. Even added a 1.75 spacer to the front, still good.
I had a local build the shaft and bought the hack n tap. All together about $350. Shes nice and smooth now.

Good luck

i have a 99 w/ 4.5" black mountain lift. no vibes until 80mph(hardly ever there). have 1" tc drop, new leaf pack w/ no shims, stock d. shafts

I've got a 98 with 3", no sye, no t-case drop, Barely noticeably vibrations between about 25-30mph, again, very very minor.

MTjeeper said:
I've got a 98 with 3", no sye, no t-case drop, Barely noticeably vibrations between about 25-30mph, again, very very minor.

Again, to show it all depends... My 98, 3" lift had almost unbearable vibes at all speeds except cruising at 45 until I dropped the T-Case...

I wanted a definate answer before I lifted, and kind of got peeved that it seemed no one would give me a straight answer... but it's true... it all depends on the jeep!

I have 4" and no drop, I only feel vibes at about 70-75... I might put one on after all but the pinion angle should be fine for you with a 4" lift and 1" t/c drop

just installed m 4.5" kit and tc drop. only some slight vibes between 60 and 65mph. i have a couple buddies who have used their tc drops and no sye for a few thousand miles now and no problems so i doubt its just a bandaid.

I have a 98. At first when i only had a 3" lift, I got away with a t-cse drop and some 2 degree shims. when I went to 4" though, i had bad vibes. I was lucky enough to have a friend sell me a t-case with an AA SYE allready in it for $75, couldnt pass thad deal up. I installed it and got a spare front shaft lengthened for the rear. My advise is to just bite the bullet and do it right. Trust me, you will be so happy you did. besides, its not good to run any part at its limit all the time, which is what you are doing with a T-case drop, just BARELY escaping the vibrations. For what its worth, there are my two cents.
-Jerry

yeah definatly, i'm surprised to hear that with just 3 to 4 inches of lift and a T case drop guys have had vibs. I have a RE 3.5 with a T case drop with absolutly no vibes, in fact it rides way better than it was stock! My .02.

Back