• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Tranny Trouble

rtbarton

NAXJA Forum User
I was out wheeling with our club yesterday when I my clutch pedal hit the floor and would not return. Checked the MC fluid resevoir and found the fluid clean and full. Next, I pulled the slave cylinder out to ensure it had pressure on the plunger, it did. I reached into the bell housing through the slave cylinder port and felt for the shift fork. It was there, but seemed to have a lot of play in it. After burning my fingers several times, I centered the fork dimple up, aligned the slave plunger back into the dimple and bolted it back up. I put a small bungee on the clutch pedal to keep slight pressure on it so that it didn't return all the way up, in case this was allowing the plunger to leave the dimple, just a thought. Anyway, I was able to drive the 100 miles back home without any trouble. The last time something like this happened, I dropped the tranny to find that the little retaining clip that holds he right side of the shift fork to a ball post on the housing had broken and fallen off. That time, the fork hit the pressure plate and both got chewed up a bit. I thought that this clip was just for assembly, however I don't know for sure and I can't find a good diagram or write up on the tranny to find out. Anyone else know? Have you had this kind of problem and if so, what was the resolution? I have a big ride planned in a couple of weeks and I don't want to pull the tranny if I don't have to. Suggestions (besides upgrading to a decent tranny)? Not sure if I was just lucky in getting it centered and back together or if that should take care of it.

Thanks!

There is something wrong and as much as you don't want to drop the tranny you already know you are going to have to. A big ride can't depend on a bungie cord repair at the start.
From your description the slave is working OK, did you pull the bungie off and see what happens after you got home ? Oh, and yea, that clip is not just for reassembly, it pretty much keeps the fork in place when there is no pressure on it.

RichP said:
There is something wrong and as much as you don't want to drop the tranny you already know you are going to have to. A big ride can't depend on a bungie cord repair at the start.
From your description the slave is working OK, did you pull the bungie off and see what happens after you got home ? Oh, and yea, that clip is not just for reassembly, it pretty much keeps the fork in place when there is no pressure on it.

x2

Here's a pic

Clutch+Nov+06-040.jpg

Thanks for the reply and the pic. That's actually helpful in recalling how things are set up since it's been a few years since I was last in there. I need to check the play in the fork before dropping everything to ensure that the slave piston didn't get stuck, then free up once we started messing with the transmission side since I've seen that happen before. The fact that the pedal flopped pretty much tells me that isn't the case though. I just think it's odd that the fork ended up back in place over the ball-pivot point without lots of tries. If I can move the fork up and down inside the housing, I guess that's a pretty sure sign the clip has broken or fallen off...again. This wasn't even a situation of a hard shift, being way off camber or anything out of the ordinary. Thanks again for the input! Has anyone come up with a mod that would prevent that clip from coming off in the future?

Back