• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex Plate Question

eddieeddieg

NAXJA Forum User
I had recently replaced my flex plate(old one was bent) on my 92 XJ w/AW4
with http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/24765
And now the engine will not run under 2k rpm. Sounds like the timing is
advanced way too far. No other changes made previous to an
otherwise perfect running 4.0L. Flex swap was flawless.
Stare and compare to the old old flex plate before installation looked good.
Everything lined up. Flex plate can be bolted in only one way.
CPS looks good - no MIL's.
What went wrong? I'm out of ideas...
Possible manufacting defect lining up the timing marks for the CPS?
Anyone else use this flex plate w/o problems?
Thanks
Eddie:wow:

PS - Need to get this done. My 2k XJ just developed a cracked head
with coolant out the exhaust...

I have installed that flex plate (52117761)and
that's the one not working for me.
I've located the original flex plate part #
53006324 & 61630 (both numbers are stamped)

Being it's such a pain to replace the flexplate again
I've considered swapping the PCM to match the flexplate
but that seems to be a gamble at Oreilly's PCM price of $160.00

Guess I should bite the bullet and visit the dealer for a new flexplate...:scared:

Eddie

I checked chrylserpartsdirect.com which shows part number 53006324 was superceded by part number 52117761. The description of " DRIVE PLATE, Jeep, 4.0L, MJ, XJ Series 1992 - 2000" certainly sounds correct.

Are you sure yours is a 1992 and perhaps not an oddball 1991 sold in 1992? Do you have the big yellow connectors on the passenger side fender that would indicate a Renix engine management system (non-HO engine)?

Was the CPS damaged?

I don't have the vin number for verification but
on the PCM located on the drivers fender
has a date of 04/06/92.
With the flexplate being superceeded by another
number - it looks slim for me getting the correct part.

If I'm unable to get the correct flex plate my other
two options are to find another PCM that uses the
new part number. Or re-drilling the bolt holes to
re clock the flex plate roughly 60*. Groan...
Eddie

I don't think it is the correct solution in this case, as a.)the superceded part should be compatible and b.)how would you know which ECU goes with the "new" part.

However, just as an fyi, you can pick up an ECU on car-part.com for <$50 +shipping if you know what ECU you are looking for.

Yes the superceeded part should work.
But the problem is it doesn't and why not.

One possibly fix is to find a loaner PCM
verifying the new superceeded flex plate needs a different PCM...

But then again I may have a bad flex plate.
I may have to go junk yard hunting to verify that.

Eddie

I would think if your timing really was 60* out, it wouldn't even start, much less run above 2k. Got a timing light handy to check if the timing is even in the ballpark when you do get it running?

Old back to life!

OP,
Did you figure it out? I'm doing research on correct flexplate for my 97 tj 4. with an aw4 swap.

#52117761 is flexplate I think is correct for me (I think 1997 is first year for OBDII for the Wrangler

Just for clarification, are there 3 different flex plates for xj aw4?

One for the early renix, one for non HO, one for HO.

http://www.atp-inc.com/

This is the one I bought for my OBD1 95. It seems more stout than the Omix-Ada I had in there before. Check your favorite search engine for the part number. Summit and Amazon are a couple of places.

The 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder engines use the same part number.

Z-337 96-01 Cherokee
Z-339 91-95 Cherokee/Comanche/Grand Cherokee (1993 ONLY)
Z-205 87-90 Cherokee/Comanche/Wagoneer
Z-202 84-86 Cherokee/Comanche/Wagoneer

Last edited:
Just for clarification, are there 3 different flex plates for xj aw4?

One for the early renix, one for non HO, one for HO.
you are a little off... a renix is the non HO

looking it up in the OEM parts, there are 3 different plates for the XJ

Renix and HO.

Renix OEM part # 33002675 discontinued

HO models OEM part# 52117761 & 52118551 fit 91 and up 4.0l w aw4

5211761 changed to 52118551 in 97 even though both are still available and are the same physically.

To the OP.. You must have gotten a mis-boxed part or simply a faulty part.

Last edited:
I just swapped a 99 XJ motor in my 2000 XJ and now have a crank no start problem (I have done a number of these swaps - mostly 96 motors into 2000's)

With a help of a mechanic friend we determined it had no Crank Position Sensor Signal (no spark no injector pulse), so probably a bad CPS, but then I started wondering if I got the right "Flex Plate" on when I swapped the motor

Since I never had any 95 or older motors and all were between 96-2000 so any flex plates I have around would be from those years - I have to have the right flex plate correct????

On eBay most flex plate listings say 96-01 XJ's but I did see (2) that said 00-01 so I am a bit worried, Rock Auto gives me the same part number for all 96-01 flex plates, then changes part number starting in 95... which makes me think I am OK.

Thanks,

Bryan

I just swapped a 99 XJ motor in my 2000 XJ and now have a crank no start problem (I have done a number of these swaps - mostly 96 motors into 2000's)

With a help of a mechanic friend we determined it had no Crank Position Sensor Signal (no spark no injector pulse), so probably a bad CPS, but then I started wondering if I got the right "Flex Plate" on when I swapped the motor

Since I never had any 95 or older motors and all were between 96-2000 so any flex plates I have around would be from those years - I have to have the right flex plate correct????

On eBay most flex plate listings say 96-01 XJ's but I did see (2) that said 00-01 so I am a bit worried, Rock Auto gives me the same part number for all 96-01 flex plates, then changes part number starting in 95... which makes me think I am OK.

Thanks,

Bryan

What was outcome?
If you didn't swap flexplates, and they turn out to be different from 99 - 00 that would be odd.
...I just put in a 95 aw4 with 95 flexplate into my once manual trans tj that is first year OBDII for the Wranglers. With mixed facts/opinions I'm worried about possible difference between 95 & 96 up flexplates. Unfortunately on this build I'm a while off before I can try to fire it up to see, I will be pi$$ed if I have to pull it out again with Atlas & 2 crossmembers to deal with.

An HO flex plate will not work on a Renix. It will not even start.

Did you do anything with the distributor or spark plug wires? Did you possibly unplug the MAP sensor vacuum line or plug?

My best guess would be the CPS. All you have to do is hit the sensor and put it out of commission or make it work screwy. Can you borrow someone's spare to try it?

Back