• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header prep questions

Tim_MN

Freakish Hand Strength
NAXJA Member
I am painting and installing a new header on my 97 XJ. I bought a new part from sorta-fit and wonder if anybody has any tips on prep? It seems to be some sort of plastic instead of fiberglass. 600 grit Sandpaper or is a 3M scratch pad OK ? Should I prime it first ?, its black and I am spraying Steel Blue (that light blue/grey color).

Thanks, Tim

scuff it good, paint it and run an oxy-acetylene torch through each tube for a few minutes, itll bake the paint on (if its high heat enamel) that way it wont all flake off when you actually run it. although most header paint comes off eventually anyways.

Tim_MN said:
I am painting and installing a new header on my 97 XJ. I bought a new part from sorta-fit and wonder if anybody has any tips on prep? It seems to be some sort of plastic instead of fiberglass. 600 grit Sandpaper or is a 3M scratch pad OK ? Should I prime it first ?, its black and I am spraying Steel Blue (that light blue/grey color).

Thanks, Tim

Definitely scuff it well - and make sure to clean all the dust off afterwards (a rag soaked in denatured alcohol works well - anything stronger may attack the base material.)

Since you're covering a darker colour with a lighter colour, you're going to have to take your time, and apply about double the coats you think you're going to need. Use a light primer (light grey or white,) and prime in light coats until you can't see any "show-through" from the black base colour. Allow 20-30 minutes between coats of primer, work slowly, and lay light coats.

Allow to dry for at least 48 hours (give the primer time to cure,) then apply your colour coat. Again - work slowly, use light coats, and take your time. 20-30 minutes between coats should work for the colour coat as well.

Clear coat is optional - same precautions.

You'll find that you get better results if you take your time and lay several very light coats instead of trying to get it done in one coat - you'll get less runs and blems as well.

If possible, wash down the spray area before you get started spraying (after you sand,) to reduce the possibility of "fish-eyes" from kicked-up dust. You don't need soap, you should definitely use water.

And, one last time, TAKE YOUR TIME. Spraypainting is something that can't be hurried - especially if you're using rattle cans...

5-90

Back