• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nutsert tool

99xjache

NAXJA Member #1289
Does anybody have a nutsert tool I could borrow/rent ? I have a rack to install and I need to use steel nutserts through the sheetmetal of the roof. These tools are pretty expensive to buy for a one time use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

PM or post up.

Thanks in Advance,
Aaron

I have access to a 5mm x 0.8mm

I dont know what thread or pitch. I think a 1/4-20 or equiv. would do. I cant remember how many bolts hold the rack to the roof. I think its either 5 or 6 per side. the rack uses the factory roof rack rail mounting points. My XJ didnt come with factory rails, so I need to drill and insert my own mounting points.
I can only assume that the factory pitch and thread would suffice.

Aaron

The older XJ's used well nuts rather than nutserts. Don't know when they changed, but if you're starting from scratch the well nuts would be easier. The well nuts are rubber with a threaded insert and you don't need a tool to install them since they just slip into the hole and tighten in the hole as you tighten the bolt that goes into them to hold the rack. They work fine, many, many XJ's out there have roof racks held on by stock well nuts. You'd find some at a good bolt place and drill a hole to fit them.

Goatman said:
The older XJ's used well nuts rather than nutserts. Don't know when they changed, but if you're starting from scratch the well nuts would be easier. The well nuts are rubber with a threaded insert and you don't need a tool to install them since they just slip into the hole and tighten in the hole as you tighten the bolt that goes into them to hold the rack. They work fine, many, many XJ's out there have roof racks held on by stock well nuts. You'd find some at a good bolt place and drill a hole to fit them.

Thanks Richard,
I think Capt Ron has me covered. I'm pretty sure he has everything needed to get the rack mounted.

THanks to everyone that responded. If it doesnt work out I'll try the well nut idea.

Aaron

got yer rack huh? cool!

Did it come in a nice custom box? :D

Back