• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear driveshaft universal joints

xjhd4me

NAXJA Forum User
i need to replace the rear u-joints, my local auto parts store asked me if they were inside or outside lock clips? i don't know what the difference is and of course he had to order them so i didn't get them, so can someone tell me what the difference is and how to tell or maybe someone out there has some pics of one or the other. i have a 97 2 door 4.0 5spd thanks for any help

The joints on the RDS have the clips on the outside of the caps. I you look at the ones in the DS you will see what I mean. JIM.

When you get them, you should spring for a kit of new straps and bolts too.

And make sure the parts guy gets the right year, and the right kind of Cherokee. "The little one, not the Grand".... "V8 or 6?".... "No, it's not a Grand. It's the other one! Just plain Cherokee. Not a grand. :lecture:" .... "Oh, I thought you meant a Grand. "...."No, the little one." hasta

can't hurt to add a little more blue loctite to the bolts, a shot or two of brake/carb cleaner prior on the yoke bolt holes helps too.

oh yeah, I believe 8mm is pretty darn close to 5/16" fwiw.

i've also found a bungee cord or two helps support the ds while finagling everything together.

good luck...

Back