• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which tranny do I have?

woodbutcher

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ with a 4.0 2wd but I am looking for a wrecked 4wd to convert it right now my trans is locked in 5th gear and I need to drive it how do I go about finding the right one or which 4wd unit can I get to put in until I get the front axle?
Sean:confused:

You've got an AX-15 with a 2wd adapter/output. The AX-15 was first dropped into the XJ in mid-89, and lasted through 00. If you put a 4wd transmission in it you'll have to add the t-case (and possibly the cossmember, IIRC?) Getting a tranny already attached to the t-case will avoid the 21- vs 23-spline issue.

Right now you have an internal slave cylinder for the clutch, you can swap it over to the later external version - I don't recall the exact year of the changeover buut I'm thinking that was 93ish...

I found a complete XJ today but it has a V6 in it will the tranny bolt up to my 4.0?
and if not if I find a 4wd automatic will the TC be the same?
Can it be put on a 2wd tranny?
Thanks for the help.
Sean

woodbutcher said:
I found a complete XJ today but it has a V6 in it will the tranny bolt up to my 4.0?
and if not if I find a 4wd automatic will the TC be the same?
Can it be put on a 2wd tranny?
Thanks for the help.
Sean
xj's had a v6?

im sure its a straight 6 like yours.

woodbutcher said:
No. The V6 came in 84-86 XJs and isn't recommended for a swap.
woodbutcher said:
and if not if I find a 4wd automatic will the TC be the same? Can it be put on a 2wd tranny?
I just want to clarify - TC can mean two things.
If you meant:
TC - Torque Converter - yes, this is the same between the 2wd and 4wd versions. The 2wd and 4wd AW-4 are the same unit with the exception of the rear output. On the 4wd version, it's a short adapter with a ring that will mount to the transfer case. The 2wd version has a long output shaft and housing.

If you meant:
TC - Transfer Case - No, you can't mount the t-case directly to the 2wd AW-4. You can swap the output and adapter between the 2wd and 4wd units, but that involves a pretty thorough teardown of the transmission to make it happen.

Back