• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help ID vent tube - trans on 00 XJ

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I want to extend the vent tube on the transmission on my 00 XJ. I have found what I think is the vent tube where it comes off the transmission, but I can't follow it up. I want to find the end to make sure it's the vent tube, but I can't. So, can anyone verify if the tube that the red arrow is pointing at is the vent tube. The pic is taken from the driver's side - left side of pic is forward. Thing in the bottom foreground is the driveshaft. I can't figure out how to post the pic, so please look at the link. I'm pretty certain this is the vent tube, but before I go pulling it off, I want to be sure. Thanks.
--CT

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r14/wolverine00xj/transmission1.jpg

I'm thinking no...can't picture what that is off the top of my head though without digging out my FSM.

The vent comes off the top of the tranny just behind the bellhousing; this was true on my 96 and a late 80s I had as well.
aw4.jpg

Thanks for the input. I'm glad I didn't go cutting into it without more checking. The tube in question crosses over the top of the transmission, heading forward. However, it's too tight in there to follow it. There is what appears to be the end of a vent tube at the bottom of the firewall, and it appears to be roughly lined up where there the tube in the photo is headed. It also appears to be about the same diameter. But, I just can't link them up.
--CT

That's not a vent tube, that's the downshift cable that connects at the throttle body. You'll have a hard time getting to that vent with the tranny in the vehicle. Its on the top of the tranny towards the back if I recall right. Believe thre's a seperate one for the transfer case as well.

Back