• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How would I add...

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
dimming interior lights and timed headlights. I think it would be cool to incorporate dimming interior lights into my jeep, a 25 second timer is perfct. Also, how would someone make their headlights stay on for a minute or so after the vehicle is shup off ? Are the parts available to buy as an accessory rather than a replacement part ? Is it hard to do ?

As far as dimming the lights, I can't help you there.

Auto delay shutoff headlights was an option on the XJ, and I believe you can just grab the module and plug it in.. At least, thats what Mike Rollins told me, and he's very rarely wrong.

Granted, when he tried it on my jeep we nearly had to get a fire extinguisher the smoke was so bad.. ;)

I thought all XJ's had the auto shut off headlights? As long as you shut off the ignition then the headlights they stay on for 45 seconds.

98 and they go right out.

xjwisconsin said:
88 chief and the lights stay on for about 40 seconds or so

Really, that's what I want mine to do. Any idea where the module that controls this would be located ?

My moms 89 does that. I can't remember what sequence you do it in to get it. I think if you shut off the engine, then turn off the lights, they stay on for like a min. I find it handy cause it lights the path to my front door and then they shut off when I get inside. :)

jesusjeep19 said:
But about the dimming interior lights, I wonder if you could get a relay off another vehicle and possibly wire it in to your overhead light.

It's only a relay that causes the diming ? I could just wire it up to both of my overhead lights. I thought there was a capacitor type thing and it would dim when it had been depleted.

I know IPF's magic J-bulbs glow for a claimed 15 minutes after you shut them off. Never seen 'em in person though, and if you upgrade to H4's you'd have brighter lights too!

BTW both my '95 and '99 sports had the timed headlight shut-off...

My 89 had that feature, it was a Laredo. I have an 87 Waggy parts car a 92 sport and an 88 MJ, all of which do not have it. Could it be in the light switch itself or are they all the same?

Does anyone have any input that might be able to help me out ? I don't know what I need or how to hook it up. It's getting frustrating.

I think i've figured these timed headlights out. On my 95 sport I have a lighted green ring around my ignition. I think i can splice into the switched wire that kicks on the relay for the lighted ring when the door is opened and hook it to another relay. Then tie into the low beam circut. I'd need to find a timed relay and it seems to be cake after that. Any input on my idea ? Think it should work ?

Back