• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another When can you put in 4-wh drive?

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
I feel a little stupid asking this--but, here goes. First, I've noticed putting it into 4-wheel drive on standard, dry hard top, I got horrific binding and had a hard time getting the transfer case into neutral again. Then again, I've been up and down some really steep granite boulders while doing certain Sierra trails, and did not notice any binding. Is the granite rock that loose compared to asphalt?

yea dont use ur 4wd on dry pavement. if u have a hard time putting it back in to 2wd put the transmission in revers and back up like a foot. then put it in nutral and u should be able to 2wd. doing this takes all the tension or w/e off the t-case and makes it eaiser to shift. i donno if thats really what it dose but somebody told me to do that and it works for me

part time 4wd is not for use on high traction surfaces.
Do not engage it unless the wheels can slip, or very bad things will happen.

DO NOT EVER ENGAGE IN 4X4 HI OR LOW ON ASPHALT.PERIOD!mud ,wet grass,upside down.any of these is better than asphalt.and of course there was no binding on the boulders with slippery dust all over them.

a7273chargerguy said:
DO NOT EVER ENGAGE IN 4X4 HI OR LOW ON ASPHALT.PERIOD!mud ,wet grass,upside down.any of these is better than asphalt.and of course there was no binding on the boulders with slippery dust all over them.

not entirely true. may not be recommended but it wont cause instant damage.

if the front wheels are pointed straight ahead and all tires have equal air pressure, it wont hurt anything if you engage it into 4wd drive on asphalt. its only when making turns on dry surfaces you can really cause some damage.

I heard that if yo have the full time tcase that it is ok to run it in 4x4 all the time even on dry pavement

89xj said:
if the front wheels are pointed straight ahead and all tires have equal air pressure, it wont hurt anything if you engage it into 4wd drive on asphalt. its only when making turns on dry surfaces you can really cause some damage.

This is correct. You can actually turn somewhat, but if you feel ANY binding at all you're turning too sharply and should straighten out immediately. Really not recommended to do this unless for some very obscure reason you have no choice in the matter.

1985xjlaredo said:
I heard that if yo have the full time tcase that it is ok to run it in 4x4 all the time even on dry pavement

As long as you're in the Full-Time position, yes.

AlabamaDan said:
How do you know if you have full time or part time?

Look at the number of positions on the transfer case shifter. The 231 (Part-Time) case will have 2HI, 4PT, N, 4LO; the 242 (Full-Time) case 2HI, 4PT, 4FT, N, 4LO. In neither case is there a full-time low range.

So is it the consences that granite sections of 4x trials are slippery enough, due to dirt and decaying rock, to allow use of 4-wheel drive without binding? Steep ascents and descents need 4 wheel traction from gearing for proper (safe) control; I'm talking grades that cause max gripping of the seat with your derier!

If you have an NP242, it has 2wd, PART TIME 4WD, FULL TIME 4WD, N, 4LO. I don't think any of the XJs got the NP 249 which only had FULL TIME 4WD, N, 4LO

Where I am going with this is, PART TIME is only for loose surfaces, FULL TIME 4x4 can be used on the street. I don't normally, since it sucks gas mileage down. This is in my ZJ, but I am guessing that some XJ Limiteds had the 242.

Yeah I was looking at a 90 limited for sale a while back and it had the full time option. I think its more for people who don't know how to control a rear drive vehicle in snow and ice, so they can drive around all the time and have AWD, I think it is stupid especially the zj's that don't even have a 2wd option, so many extra parts getting worn out for no reason, not to mention shittier fuel mileage.

MTjeeper said:
Yeah I was looking at a 90 limited for sale a while back and it had the full time option. I think its more for people who don't know how to control a rear drive vehicle in snow and ice, so they can drive around all the time and have AWD,

Yeah, that must be it - nobody would ever use 4FT off-road as well as on.

Back