• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When can you Engage 4WD?

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
So far I've only engaged 4HI by stopping and putting the XJ in N. Am I overdoing it? Does it have to be in N and do I have to stop to engage 4HI? How about 4LO?

Thanks for the reply. Just reach down and pull it up. I suppose there's some rule that you have to be under so many MPH, say 35 right? Not that I'd be going that fast and think "hey let's shift to 4wd", just wondering.

that is correct on 4hi, but you can actually be at a slow roll up to @ 5MPH to shift into 4 low I have read. I found that on a search of 4low here on the site. I personally put my rig in neutral before shifting to 4 low....just my $.02

It depends on what 4wd system you have as well.
the 231 and 242 are both shiftg on the fly capable.
You can engage 4wd at any legal road speed according to Jeep
4lo must be engaged below 5 MPH.
full time 4wd can be used on hard packed surfaces/pavement.
part time 4wd should only be used in slick conditions that permit wheel slip.

I believe this is my setup based on the specs and it being all original.
Engine
4.0L I6 EFI "Power Tech" - 177 hp @ 4750 rpm, 220 ft lb @ 4000 rpm

Transmission
AW4 - 4 speed automatic, electronically controlled - manufactured by Aisin - used from 87-01 (87-91 models include a Power/Comfort button that adjusts the shift points) Gear Ratios are :2.804 1.531 1.000 0.753(OD) 2.393(rev)

Transfer Case
The transfer cases used are all chain driven with aluminum housings. NP stands for "New Process" which is the brand, if you will. The newer ones are NV instead which stands for "New Venture". It is the same transfer case just a different name.

NP242 - "Selec-Trac" part-time OR full-time - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO - used 87-01

a7273chargerguy said:
i just noticed the only people answering ?'s are noobs.more power to us!:firedevil

I'm sure you wouldn't beleive when you have been on here a few years the amount of newb questions you will skip as you have just answered them so many times that you know if the person did a search the would find the best and most accurate info on their question.

That being said, I know this is a forum and contribute now only when I see bad info or have to tell someone to SPOTI

AlabamaDan: your engine stats are way off the mark. The Renix-era 4.0 (up to 1990) is rated at 177 hp at 4500 rpm and 224 ft-lb torque AT 2500 RPM This is the biggest difference between the Renix and HO engines- the earlier Renix type have lots of low-end torque. The above figures are taken directly from the the Jeep 1990 sales brochure. Chrysler had to modify the design from their earliest HO engines to try and get the low rpm torque back, first generation HOs had the torque peak way up at some less-useful rpm. I have a 1990 (bought new) and a 2001: there is a real differnce in low-rpm output. At higher rpms the 2001 walks away, but the 1990 will go up a hill I drive every day without dropping out of 4th (both jeeps are 4wd, AW4 tranny, 4.0 engine, almost stock). The numbers you quoted are posted on the web, and are wrong. If you would like a description of the other losses Chrysler inflicted on Cherokees, let me know and I'll compare my 1990 Laredo with my 2001.

4xBob, I have an 88 Cherokee with a stock I6. I did pull the stats off one of the sticky's on this site. That's good to know that it has even more torque at low RPMs. Honestly I'll probably always keep in in a Low RPM situation Thanks for letting me know.

Back