• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 XJ Electrical problems

The fuseable links on the start relay.

Flinks.jpg

I had a wiper motor going bad on me one time. Every time the wipers were on until the motor finally shat out, it would cut out my clock and radio. You could try pulling the wiper motor relay just for fun.

i'd check the switches where all the rods come off the steering column (you have to disconect the column and move it towards the floor. The rods run along the top of the column and connect to a switchboard near the base. Mine did the same thing then it stopped working all together. pulled it and found the switch board was cooked. the switch had shorted.

kevin s said:
Thanks, all.
I think it is in whatever the key cylinder controls. It's a little wobbly, and I got it to cut in/out by wiggling the key while running.
Just went through the exact thing on my '89. It's the ignition switch, probably fried, located on top of the steering column. Costs about $12 at your local AutoZone.

Back