• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looks great, rides like poo

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
I just bumped up to a full traction 6in LA from my previous 3 inch superlift. I am having some major problems. It rides like crap, no other way of putting it, every bump or dip jars the whole thing and feels like something is making contact with the frame making a loud thud. I have checked and double checked to make sure everything has the right clearance. My shocks may be a tad too short (pro comp es 3000) they mesure 23" eye to eye at ride height, never mesured them fully extended. Alignment is way off, two shops said it couldnt be done?? The last thing is even though the axle is centered and the trac bar has no play the passanger coil spring seems a little tweaked in the seat. So do these problems sound like it could casue the worst ride possible? If it would help i can take pics of the front end?

X2 Alignment. Same shocks?

I've also been told that an alignment couldn't be done. I can't remember what it was, but I think if you take it to a Jeep dealer they will be abel to do it...I know that you need shims for one part of the alignment and maybe the other shops are just too lazy or don't know about it.

Sean

91 Jeep Project said:
They couldn't do mine because the clamps woudn't fit on my wheels. So I did it myself,.

x2, 2 pieces of straight steel 36"s +/-, a tape measure, an angle finder and an hour of your time. May not be '' " "lazer" perfect, but you can get it really close on your own.

if you dont want to try and tackle it yourself, any 4x4 shop can do it.

many local shops that do alignments on grannys oldsmobile and stuff dont like doing alignments on "lifted trucks", maybe their equipment cant handle it, maybe its a liability i dunno.

-Tim

======================================
May not be '' " "lazer" perfect, but you can get it really close on your own.
======================================
Lazer machines are fast and good but no better the a good man willing to take his time.
I use string, tape and two kids that will stand still.

Ummm, yeah, my kit rides awesome. I think its in the alignment/set up of your kit where you have your problem. First off, I'd look at your track bar. Make sure that you have it centered and that you've installed it in the proper orientation (yes, it can fit in the wrong way). Also, don't go anywhere other than a frame straightening shop or a Jeep dealer because they might be able to align it for you, but they'll do a shitty job. You can set everything up yourself if you take the time to do it. First, measure the length of the lower control arms at the tip to a standard point on the frame, ie, will be the same on both sides. Once your axle is perpendicular to the frame and centered where you want it, adjust your upper control arms so that your pinion angle is where you can stand it and your caster/camber angles are close enough to spec to get by. After all that, then throw your track bar in. Your track bar is pretty much a guessing game. Adjust it, step back and take a look at it and adjust it again until you get it right where you want it. After all that is done, adjust the toe in so that the front tires are 1/8" closer in the front than in the rear of the tire giving it about .5* toe in. Straighten your steering wheel by adjusting the drag link and then you're done. If you're not comfortable with that, take it to an alignment shop to get it thrown on a machine. Belive me, it can be done on a laser machine. There are plenty of vehicles out there with wider wheel bases than ours and plenty with larger diameter tires than ours. Most of the time, people are just not comfortable when they see 4 freakin huge control arms like that. But most of all, it should ride like a dream. If it doesn't, you've got something definately messed up with the install.

89jeepxjw said:
53guy, on the track bar the heim goes to the axle? also in the rear did you use the u-bolts in the kit?

Yup, on the track bar, the heim goes on the axle. Yes, I did use the U-bolts from the FT kit. They are crappy as all, but I'm too lazy to go get different ones. =)

i had some vibe problems with mine as well. the heim joint on the axle end of the trac bar wore out after a couple months. since, ive been nothing but happy with my kit. good luck.

I agree that pro comp shocks are stiff at best......the shops problem may stem from the fact that the FT arms have to be removed to adjust .....meaning they cant fit it into the advertised price or their brain cant get around it , you guess. G'luck, Mike

check out your shock lengths, going from a 3" to a 6" with the same shocks could definetly cause problems if they are bottoming out.

Back