• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 2.8 xj help please

pitbull10

NAXJA Forum User
let me start off by saying Hi .
I am a newbe to the jeep world i just picked up a 86 2.8 litter v6 xj.(free)
It seems to run ok not great , my problem is the tranny is done .
I have anothere tranny that im told should work (also free)
im told that it is from the same year.
My ? is , is there anything i could look for to tell if it is the rite one or not .
this thing has sat for like a year and a half and same with the othere tranny .
im trying to build this thing on a very low buddet and would be very greatfull for any info you could help me with .
Thank you much

We will need more info ie manual or auto 2wd or4x4 if it auto you'll have to know what it is out of year etc. There really isn't much anyone can tell you now.

sorry i did not think about that.
it a 86 2.8 litter 4x4 auto.
im told the tans i have is out of anothere 86 2.8 litter 4x4 auto
sorry for being a dip sh@#

If you think it is a good trans. go for it you'll need to get new seals for the trans and the transfer case don't forget the torque converter must be drained and a new seal check with a service manual for number of qts. of fluid. It is a must to know that your new trans. is. a 86 or older cause, 87 and newer AW4 is computer operated also v-6 and inline 6 might have a diff. bellhousing. The 2.8 is not as popular as the I-6 so parts might be a problem. This sounds like a good Jeep to start with but after you get the fever you'll be wanting to move up.Good luck there are lots of people that will be glad to help you as you get into the swap.

You really need to identify both trannies, start looking for parts numbers on them, if the numbers are the same then you are golden. I know squat about auto trannies and going back to the 2.8L days even less :D
Describe 'toast' on the tranny thats in there, could be something simple [not likely] but you never know... Does it work at all ?
I see alot of auto tranny owners here having issues with the NSS [neutral safety switch] and removing and cleaning that seems to fix alot of ills...you might get lucky. Maybe cleaning the valve body.

thnks for the info im going to try and put the tranny in this sunday morning.
i talked to the guy that had this thing before me and he is telling me that they are the same, and if there are any problems to let him know and he will find me a nothere tranny asap.
all i have to do is give him the bad ones.
here is a nothere ? im looking at the rustys 8" long arm lift and S.Y.E.
can you give me some thoughts on this.
i would like to go big and have some fun but also do it rite so there are no problems and it is safe.
i know that there are lots more parts needed to make this thing really rock.
but any info would be great.
thanks again

Back