• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no head lights

fspell220

NAXJA Forum User
HI I have a 89 cherokee laredo with 4.0 and auto trans. Heres the problem.
head lights just quit working. Not fun while driving on the interstate at night by-the-way. I've checked all fuses all fusible links, all lights work except the headlights. The only way I can get them to work is if I pull back on the column bright switch and hold it back, thus the bright lights will stay on only if I pull back on the switch. As soon as I release it the lights go out. Anyone got any ideas I'm out of them. Please reply asap as this is my work/rec. vehicle and my wife is getting tired of me borrowing hers. Thanks.:explosion

Silly question. Have you checked all of your fuses? There are some located in the engine compartment as well as the bulk head by your feet inside the cab.

Also could be an issue with the headlight relays. At least I think there are relays that control the headlights.

I would bet it is you hi/low switch. It is on the left side of your column. Follow the little rod down and you will see it. You can by one pretty cheap, or go to the junk yard. Only take a couple minutes to change.

Jeremy

i have since posting resolved issue with the lights. turns out it was the light pull out switch the whole time. not to fun to replace either. thanks

Question:

Is your idiot light working properly?

This is simply outstanding.

We got a snow day today. My new laptop arrrived this morning. I've got entertainment ALL DAY NOW. :cheers:

KEEP IT COMIN' FSPELL220.

Back