• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxygen Sensor Replacement $$

jeepngirl25

NAXJA Forum User
I recently took my 97 XJ to a shop to have an issue with fuel economy diasgosed. They have told me it is the front oxygen sensor. They are quoting me $210 to replace it. Does that sound reasonable. It sounded steep to me.

Thanks...

Oxygen sensors are about $60 to $80.

Common hand tools. If you can turn a screwdriver you can replace your O2 sensor. Take ya about 3 or 4 minutes.

All you need is a small crescent wrench. Unscrew the old one, put in the new one, and clip the electrical connector in.

Done.

Yeh dude, it's that easy, I did mine this past summer. Don't waste the money, buy it and do it youself.

KarlVP said:
Oxygen sensors are about $60 to $80.

Common hand tools. If you can turn a screwdriver you can replace your O2 sensor. Take ya about 3 or 4 minutes.

All you need is a small crescent wrench. Unscrew the old one, put in the new one, and clip the electrical connector in.

Done.

Don't use a crescent - you can round the thing off.

You should be able to get a 7/8" end wrench in there, or you can get an "Oxygen Sensor Socket" - it's an "extra-deep" 7/8" socket with a groove milled down one side to clear the wiring.

Take about 5-10 minutes, as said. It's easier to change when it's a little warm, and the new sensor should have never-seez on the threads already - apply if not. The new sensor gets torqued to ~20 pound-feet (do not overtighten, or you'll end up paying someone to change it next time...)

5-90

Blaine B. said:
If you tighten the crescent properly there's no chance of rounding it off....Nothing slipped when I used it, and IT was a ****** to remove...even when warm.

Yeah - and it's harder to do when dead cold...

I suppose I just see crescents as the "lazy man's way out" - I've made a fair amount of money cleaning up after someone whose toolkit was a crescent wrench and a hammer, and I just don't like seeing happen to anyone...

5-90

price around, major price difference w/Bosch, cheaper at PepBoys, than at AutoZone, iirc.

again, price around!!!!!!!!!

did they throw in some fries?!? :D

So,,

Just a side question..... How often should you replace the O2 sensor? I saw the post that compared points to the 02 sensor... Thought I should ask....

I just got a 90 with 243k on it, going through and replacing the normal stuff.... didn't think about the sensor though....

Thanks,
Bob

5-90 said:
I suppose I just see crescents as the "lazy man's way out"
5-90

X2. At least use a pipe wrench instead of a crescent!

I usually cut the wire(s) and use a regular 6-point deep socket for removal and a box wrench to install a new one. I sometimes buy the generic O2 sensor without the vehicle-specific connector ibecause its $20 cheaper and just solder-heatshrink the wires. I also break the old sensor lose with the exhaust hot and then let it cool.

I just got a 90 Pioneer and was looking thru the manual since my idiot light is on. If it's time to replace (at least in our year) it will display the "emissions maintenance" check light. I think it was a suggested change every 80K miles or there about.

If you just got it go to the Jeep website and run your VIN thru the recall list too. I found mine was on there for the O2 sensor and rear brakes. I wan't too worried about the 02 since it has 186K on it and probably on it's second one.

When I was up at Pepboys they quoted me about $50 for a new one. Forgive me if I am a complete dumb[fill in the blank], but what are points?

i don't understand why one wouldn't just undo the oem connector, grab a 3/4" (iirc) open end wrench, r/r the sensor, and reverse the above :rolleyes:

I say a creeper and three minutes,two minutes to drink a beer and wash your hands.

Notes -
If you have a RENIX (1984-1990 w/AMC gasoline engine,) do not get a "universal" sensor - it won't work. The RENIX uses a variable resistance, and the universal (and nearly all OEM sensors) generate a variable voltage. Get the OEM - Bosch, Borg/Warner, and ACDelco all work well.

If you're not comfortable with your stripping/crimping skills, get the sensor with the connector already in place. It's worth it to not have to pull the damn thing out and reterminate two or three times...

Theoretically, the service life of the typical HEGO sensor is 75-80Kmiles. In practise, they can go much farther than that - I've seen them do 150Kmiles before they failed. I'd replace it when fuel economy starts to suffer, or when you start seeing elevated HC/CO on your emissions report (indicating rich fuel trim.)

And "points" (more properly, "breaker points,") are cam-actuated contacts that are found in pre-1974 domestic vehicle distributors. The igniton coil needs to be connected to voltage to saturate - disconnect the voltage source, and the magnetic field in the coil collapses, fires the secondary, and you get a spark. The breaker points interrupted the voltage to the coil to cause it to spark.

That function is now done by a solid-state module. The vacuum advance that used to be found on the distributor is also now an electronic function, among other things.

5-90

It's a really easy replacement.

With the bosch replacements (if you already have one installed) expect to break the plastic retaining thing when you try to remove it). Really easy fix. Cut it with some wire cutters and then push it out. Installing the new one is easy as taking a bolt out with a socket and ratchet. It's not rocket science.

Make sure on the 97+s that on the after the cat end that if you dont' have the thing on the new o2 sensor to secure it to the chasis that you zip tie it to the place where the old one was attached to so that your drive shaft doesn't mangle the wiring.

the whole install and uninstall is very straight forward. The hardest part of the whole thing is getting the motivation go down there and take a look :)

Thanks for the tip on the universal sensor, I was planning on switching mine out next week.

I agree on the "Japanese Adjustable" ... I used to make a lot of money on customers who went to do something themselves, and then they used a Crescent wrench ... the problem with those are after a couple of uses the worm gear will give you some play, so even if you get it tight to start you can round off something that is stubborn.

Nothing beats a good set of line wrenches, or a good set of 6 points.

Hasta

5-90 said:
I suppose I just see crescents as the "lazy man's way out" - I've made a fair amount of money cleaning up after someone whose toolkit was a crescent wrench and a hammer, and I just don't like seeing happen to anyone...

Even the right tool in the wrong hands can still cause a lot of damage.

Back