• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To Find A Vacuum Leak 101

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up another Jeep the other day for my wife and it had a vacuum leak. Just like a lot of other cherokees out there the vent controls did not work. Well I go under the hood and was searching and searching and couldn't find anything. I was guessing it was next to the cannister but was hoping it was not since the jeep is stock and I can't reach it just yet. After searching for about half an hour I got to thinking there has to be a better way. I looked around the garage and saw an old nebulizer sitting on the shelf. I pulled the vacuum lines off of the manifold and plugged them into a hose off of the nebulizer and turned it on. In a matter of seconds I had my leak pinpointed. I'm sure you could use an aquarium air pump to do the same thing. Oh and the leak... next to the canister. I just so happened to have an extra off of my other cherokee and used it. I just pulled the hose out from the bumper and plugged it into the other tank.

Whats a nebulizer ? and why would it be in a garage ? sounds like something for sucking snot out of nasal cavities...

RichP said:
Whats a nebulizer ?

Some Website said:
What is a nebulizer?
A nebulizer is a machine that uses compressed air to deliver asthma medicine as wet aerosol, a mist that can be inhaled. Nebulizers are most often used for children younger than 5, people who have difficulty using inhalers, and those with severe asthma. Nebulizers are also used by people with chronic lung diseases, such as emphysema. The most common medications used in a nebulizer are bronchodilators (such as albuterol) to help open up air passages and inhaled steroids.
Nebulizers have three main parts: a cup that holds the medication, a mouthpiece or mask attached to a "T"-shaped part, and a thin, plastic tube that connects the mouthpiece to the compressor. There are home and hospital models of nebulizers, as well as portable units. The portable machines run on batteries or can be plugged into your car's cigarette lighter.
How to use a nebulizer
Read the equipment instructions completely before using your nebulizer, because directions vary from one manufacturer to another.
The medication solution that you will use in an aerosol machine may come in a multi-dose bottle with a dropper, or in a small plastic vial.

Steps for using a nebulizer:
  1. Wash your hands prior to preparing each nebulizer treatment, and make sure the equipment is clean.
  2. If using a multi-dose bottle of medicine, use the dropper to put the correct amount of medication into the cup with saline solution. If your medicine is in single-use vials, twist open the top of the plastic vial and then squeeze the contents into the nebulizer cup.
  3. Connect the mouthpiece to the T-shaped part and then fasten this unit to the cup, or fasten the mask to the cup. It is recommended that children older than 2 years old use a mouthpiece because it will deliver more medication than the mask.
  4. Connect the nebulizer tubing to the port on the compressor.
  5. Hold the nebulizer in an upright position to prevent spilling.
  6. While sitting in a comfortable, upright position place the mouthpiece between your teeth and close your lips around it. Or, put on the mask, making sure it fits well so mist won't go into your eyes.
  7. Turn the compressor on and check the nebulizer for misting. When using a finger valve, cover the air hole to force the air into the nebulizer. If you are not using a finger valve, the nebulizer will mist continually.
  8. Gently breathe out. As the mist starts, inhale slowly and deeply through your mouth, taking over three to five seconds for each breath, while keeping your finger over the valve hole.
  9. At the end of a deep breath, uncover the finger valve hole to stop the mist.
  10. Hold your breath for up to 10 seconds before exhaling. This allows the medication time to deposit in the airway.
  11. Continue until the medicine is gone from the cup (about five minutes).
  12. Occasionally tapping the side of the nebulizer helps the solution drop to where it can be misted. Treatment is finished when all the medication has been used from the container. The nebulizer will most likely begin sputtering when it is empty.
  13. Store the medication as directed.
How to clean a nebulizer
Clean the nebulizer regularly to keep the equipment from clogging and to help it last longer. Cleaning also helps prevent germs that can cause infection. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and storage. Not all nebulizer parts are dishwasher safe.

After each use:
  1. Remove the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part from the cup. Remove the tubing and set it aside. The tubing should not be washed or rinsed.
  2. Rinse the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part in warm, running water for 30 seconds. Use distilled or sterile water for rinsing, if possible.
  3. Shake off excess water and air dry on a clean cloth or paper towel.
  4. Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together, and connect the device to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer.
  5. Disconnect the tubing from the compressor. Make sure the nebulizer is dry before storing the nebulizer in a sealed plastic bag.
  6. Place a cover over the compressor.
Once every day:
  1. Remove the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part from the cup. Remove the tubing and set it aside. The tubing should not be washed or rinsed.
  2. Wash the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part with a mild dishwashing soap and warm water.
  3. Rinse under a strong stream of water for 30 seconds. Use distilled or sterile water if possible.
  4. Shake off excess water. Air dry on a clean cloth or paper towel.
  5. Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together and connect the device to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer.
  6. Disconnect the tubing from the compressor. Store the nebulizer in a sealed plastic bag.
Once or twice a week:
  1. Remove the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part from the cup. Remove the tubing, which does not get washed or rinsed.
  2. Wash the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part with a mild dishwashing soap and warm water.
  3. Rinse under a strong stream of water for 30 seconds.
  4. Soak for 30 minutes in a solution of one part distilled white vinegar and two parts distilled water. After use, throw out the vinegar and water solution; do not reuse it.
  5. Rinse the nebulizer parts again under warm, running water for one minute or rinse with distilled or sterile water, if possible.
  6. Shake off excess water. Air dry on a clean cloth or paper towel.
  7. Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together, and connect the nebulizer pieces to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer thoroughly.
  8. Disconnect the tubing from the compressor. Make sure the nebulizer is completely dry before storing it in a sealed plastic bag.
  9. Clean the surface of the compressor with a well-wrung, soapy cloth or sponge. You could also use an alcohol or disinfectant wipe.
  10. Never put the compressor in water.
  11. Wash your mask in soapy water and rinse well before using the nebulizer again.

HTH

:D

Haleyes said:

Hmmm, why would it be in a garage....ahhh, never mind, considering all my jeep parts are on shelves with my O'Riely books I guess I have no room to talk..
But then again my buddy has a shop and has a neat little machine that blows smoke under pressure, he uses that to find holes in tubes and such..

My grandfather uses one, but isn't that expensive and such???? Like the liquid or mist or whatever....I'm not even sure what it is, I'm not a RN lol.

RICH P - What kind of machine does he have? I've been looking for one to trace exhaust leaks.....I was just going to use a fog machine, but something under pressure would rock!

Warm soapy water and a spray bottle.

Dishwashing soap is a fanastic telltale in these cases.

My youngest boy has asthma so he uses a nebulizer. We keep one in every jeep most of the time and one in the house so we pick them up used when ever we run across one. I've had it sitting on the shelf for a while now in the garage and put it to use. I also used it last night to fill the front diff with oil. Since the fill hole is a bit harder to reach on the front I used a piece of tube to run out in front of the jeep put a hole in the bottom of oil jug plugged the hose into the hole and turned the machine on. I sat there and waited until I could hear the air blowing into the diff. Worked great for that also. My redneck forced air oil system.

You could use an aquarium air pump I'm sure. Oh and yesterday while in harbor freight I saw a vacuum pump. I'm sure this would work good also.
03952.gif

A nebulizer is just a fancy air pump.
nebulizer.jpg

Mine was in the canister or solenoid as the mechanic called it. Then a week later we found one at the filler neck. It looks like the owner before me and maybe even me put some weight on the gas nozzle while fueling. Silicone caulking worked fine.

Back