• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help...Water leak

brenttrf

NAXJA Forum User
I have a water leak and I have no idea where it is coming from. My wife came in tonight and told me that water is dripping on her feet. there is a steady drip (in the rain) from above the brake pedal under the dash. Any ideas? I have no clues on this one. My rig is a 2000. It is in impecable condition and never offroaded. this is my wifes daily rig. thanks for any help.

im going to say, its a jeep thing, both my cherokees have leaked, even my dads '02 wrangler leaks sometimes... sorry i dont have any suggestions. anyone else??

xjhandy said:
im going to say, its a jeep thing, both my cherokees have leaked, even my dads '02 wrangler leaks sometimes... sorry i dont have any suggestions. anyone else??

This is my 4th Cherokee and the first to leak, so this is new to me.

Matthew Currie said:
Commonest source is a bad windshield seal. Check also for missing or loose well nuts for roof rack mounts, and rust holes in roof near ends of rain gutter, not too likely on a 2000, but possible.

I was going to check the window seal. that seems the best chance of a leak, I just cant imagine where anything else can come through. The roof rack shouldnt be an issue. i dont have any leaking on the top of my rig, only under the dash. And there isnt a speck of rust anywhere. This rig is in great shape. I will definitely check the window seal.

Any other ideas?

Blaine B. said:
You could put some clear silicon behind the rubber thing around the windshield, on top and on the sides......Cheap and if it solves your problem, fantastic!

Does the newer XJ windshield rubber fits the older ones with the frame?

My moms leaks just like that too, but only when I wash it. I traced the water and it lead to a grommet in the firewall. I cant remember exactly what one but thats another possible thing to check.

Blaine B. said:
You could put some clear silicon behind the rubber thing around the windshield, on top and on the sides......Cheap and if it solves your problem, fantastic!
There's sealant made for just this purpose, which has a little better adhesion than silicone. Check out a good auto parts store.

jesusjeep19 said:
My moms leaks just like that too, but only when I wash it. I traced the water and it lead to a grommet in the firewall. I cant remember exactly what one but thats another possible thing to check.

this would be great is it is it. I am going to check into all of this tomorrow after work.

thanks for all the ideas.

Blaine B. said:
Maybe when its leaking you can look under the dash and see where it's wet and perhaps even locate the source of the leak?

Its dripping from up under the dash. Straight down as if it is leaking from the dash itself. It is dripping through all the wires and everything. You can't really tell that way, becasue it is leaking in somewhere and then dripping down wires and cables an such and then onto our shoe...

Are your blend doors functioning properly? My only last guess would be that they cracked or something and are sitting at a strange angle, letting water drip in......which they are designed to open so water can't easily get through.

Blaine B. said:
Are your blend doors functioning properly? My only last guess would be that they cracked or something and are sitting at a strange angle, letting water drip in......which they are designed to open so water can't easily get through.

Your going to have to explain what blend doors are. i've been working on cherokees for 8 years now and I have no idea what those are...

The blend doors are what the red/blue HVAC slider control. They either close allowing no outside air in, or open to allow outside air in....they are what the cowl's main purpose is - if you have them opened, they need to get outside air from some place that won't have any smelly fumes or anything....that's why the vents aren't in the engine compartment, bur rather below the windshield.

Most newer cars will have the hood sort of overlapping these vents so water can't be rushed in when driving...which the Cherokee doesn't have, so water can come into them whenever. Take the cowl off and check the drain. If it is backing up, the water will pass right through the blend doors.

Back