• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacum and the heater core

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
i just replaced my closed system with a new open system... all new hoses radiator valve ect... when hooking up the vacum line I noticed that the previous owner had electrical taped a large hole in the black vacum line. in screwing around with the tape I think I messed up... I now only have defrost... is this leak the cause, and how hard is it to replace or patch this vac line and do you think this is why I only have defrost now?

thanks for any help

a piece of tape should be sufficient to patch a small hole or crack in the line.

its a big hole... the previous owner said the guy he bought the jeep from had rabbits getting up in the engine bay and chewing through wires and such... I wasnt sure if I beleived it but Ill be damned if it doesnt look like something chewed a hole about __ that long almost three quartes of a way through the vac line

First, Yes. The leak is most likely the cause of having defrost only.

Second, vacuum line is dirt cheap at AZ or O'Reilly's. Go get some. Get extra, roll it up and keep it in your Jeep for trail spare. You never no what you are going to need.

anybody know how I should go about replacing this vac line? it appears to go into the heater core(passes through the rubber that appears to water seal it there is a white vac line right next to it

find some hose with an inner diamiter that is the same as the outer diamiter of your vac line. cut the affected portion out and insert a section of hose cut to longer than what you cut out of the vac line. seal the edges with silicone to ensure air tight and keep some in your trail box as spare.

thanks for the help guys. just cut the hose and slipped each end into a half inch piece of rubber vac line... Ive got heat and vents now... what a difference. gonna pick up a couple more feet tomorrow for my parts bin

The black line is the main vacuum source for the HVAC controls, whereas the white line is for the heater valve.......opens and closes flow to the heater core.....

Yes though, having the main line with a leak will cause you to have defrost only, and the heater core will remain open for flow regardless of what position you have the HVAC set on.

Back