• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heep still ain't runnin right

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
got a lot of problems and not a lot of cash, typical for jeeps right?

Heres the problem, if I get on the gas a little it bogs down and idles extremely low for a few seconds then it goes back to normal. I can only drive it if I go really slow and keep the rpms below like 2200. it idles fine when its just sittin their. also it kind of sputters when you just rev it in neutral. I went to autozone and had it plugged in, they say its running lean, and it could be misfiring on some cylinders. I told them that when I ran my exhaust I took out the o2 sensor on the cat, (this was about 6 months ago) and they said the cold weather could be sending some false signals and causing it to run lean.

Why would it run fine all summer w/o the o2 sensor and then all of a sudden run like crap?

Oh and another problem, I need to have this thing running right again in a few days, cause I have to go get my front gears put in. I had some guy put in my 4.56's in wrong, so 5 teeth broke off, theirs another 250$ down the drain. I'm havin some bad luck, and now is not the time cause I need this its my daily driver and I don't have money to keep fixin it.

Anyways, has anyone had a similar problem with the bogging down thing? do you think if I replaced the o2 sensor it would run fine again? Or could something else be broke?

how do you check the fuel pressure? and I don't have a cat on their right now, so it's not backed up, (putting one on soon) also the fuel filter is inside of the gas tank right? is that hard to replace? The lady at autozone told me the same thing, to change the fuel filter, but said they did not carry new ones? so I don't know, I kinda dismissed that idea.

fuel pressure could be it though, is changing out the fuel filter that hard?

Could be a fuel pressure regulator for sure. UNFORTUNATELY... NOT cheap.
The computer NEEDS those sensors. Put the O2 back in and see what you get after a few trips around the block. Leave the battery disconnected for about 20 minutes first to clear the computer.

A bad fuel filter would bog you down pretty much all the time and be very flaky too. Fuel filter is external. Fuel PUMP is internal.

Could be a vaccuum issue as well. Make sure your vaccuum lines are connected to the fuel pressure regualtor and elsewhere on the manifold

BTW, a fuel pressure regulator can read good with a meter but actually leak badly. (personal experience)

Last edited:
good thing I bought a haynes manual, I would be lost. Are you sure the fuel filter is external cause I know thats what I asked about and they said it was internal. I don't think thats the problem anyways cause it doesn't bog down all the time, only when you get on it. I'll go check the vac lines and stuff right now, probably gonna put the cat and o2 sensor on tonight or tommorow so I'll keep you guys updated. Any more ideas or advice would definetly be appreciated. I'm really considering buying a new vehicle right now cause I've been having so many problems with this.

Fuel filter is external - mines a '91 and its in the rear on the drivers side. Its an easy enough job to do, so probably worth it while your changing everything else.

UPDATE!

well I was reading the haynes manual trying to figure out what all these sensors did, and I thought about what else went wrong when this started happening. the speedometer started going crazy, like I was doing 20 mph and the needle was pointed straight down as if I was doing 140! So I think I just rebuilt the t-case, maybe I put the speedo gear on wrong, so I check it, the gear is warped and the teeth rounded. I had just bought a used t-case and stole the internals from it for mine, and that one happened to have the speedo gear on it, so I put that one in and bam! IT runs!! The speedometer actually works now, and theirs no sputter or stalling at all. almost runs better than it did even. so I'm pretty siked that it ended up costing me nothing and was an easy fix. Thanks for all the help guys.

Wow, I wasw reading the post ready to give you some advise, but would have never thought it was a speed sensor issue, I beleive the reason you have an internal fuel filter is yours is "newer" than 91? I know that they stopped putting them externally, just cant remember the year, Glad you got your rig running. Good Luck.

What year and engine do you have?
Mike

I know my sig says 95, but Ive got a 97 with the 4.0, im still gonna put the cat back on, and get a new o2 sensor for it. for now shes running pretty good.

Back