• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 woody leaks al little on back of t-case

bigboyslimjimbo

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 woody with a 242 t-case. it is all stock for now but i have a small leak in the back of the t-case where the driveshaft comes into the t-case. i was wondering if anybody knew what the best thing to do is. i also am planning on lifting it "4.5" Re this summer" if there would be anything that would help this present problem and maybe even prevent future problems, it would be greatly appreciated.

cykaaro said:
Sounds like you may need to replace the seal is all.

That would be my guess. Just bought new seals for mine for 9 bucks a piece. It's not too hard to do from what my manual says, although I haven't attempted it myself yet.

Buy new rear output shaft seal.

Get new straps/screws for the pinion yoke (screws at least - 1/4"-28 x 1" socket heads are what I use. You don't have room for a full hex head.) Drain transfer case

Remove rear driveshaft - clean yoke and U-joint (might as well.) Inspect the slip yoke for any grooves or other surface defects (I find that a thumbnail will catch things the eyes will not.) Clean slip yoke.

Remove rear output shaft seal, using a screwdriver or a "seal puller" (it just pries right out - if it doesn't come right out, pull the screwdriver back a bit, since you're probably prying the casting.)

Apply small bead of RTV black to the outside of the metal shell of the new seal, and tap in place (use a light hammer or block of wood.)

Lightly grease slip yoke, and reinstall into transfer case.

Apply light coat of never-seez onto U-joint caps and set in place.

Install new straps and screws. Torque to 14 pound-feet/168 pound-inches.

Drive off.

IMPORTANT - if you manage to apply never-seez to the screw threads, tighten them to ONLY 7 pound-feet/84 pound-inches! You're just putting it on the caps to make them easier to pop out the next time...

5-90

man awaome appreciate it ill try that when i get back home. thanx for your help.
i had another quick question. if i lift my jeep 4.5" and i go to get a SYE kit and driveshaft will it be more money because i have a np242??

Back