• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

got TPS wet and now transmission problems

cricketo99

NAXJA Forum User
97 110,000 miles w/ 4.0 and auto trans. Yesterday I washed the engine down and I guess some water got into the TPS and I was having some problems. It would idle at about 1700 rpm and it would not go out of first gear. So I dried out the TPS and now it idles normal and it will shift, however now it shifts real soft and doesn't feel like a positive shift as it was doing before it got wet. Changed the tranny fluid thinking maybe I heated it up when it wouldn't shift but it helped none. Does this sound like a bad TPS or what are some other possibilities that it could be? Also readjusted the TV cable and that also didn't help. Thanks

did you disconnect your battery to let the computer reset?

The TPS really doesn't like getting wet, especially with a pressure washer. Tends to ruin them. The TPS won't control the shift firmness, but it will affect when it shifts and when it locks up the torque converter.

Replaced the TPS and my problems are solved. Next time I pressure wash the engine I will take it out first. Thanks for the help

Back