• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best source for aftermarket carpet?

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any experience with the various online aftermarket carpet providers? I'm actually thinking of going with the molded vinyl instead of carpet because I'm sick of cleaning carpet.

I'm installing a vinyl carpet set now from http://www.auto-interior.com

camouflagevinyl.JPG

I'll tell ya, when I first opened the box I thought I got ripped off cause it just looked like some really groovy extra thick vinyl flooring and some fairly rough cut padding (yes, there is padding under the vinyl).

You gotta get it out in the sun, or right now, into a warm shop and let the vinyl "relax" into shape for a day or three, then you'll see the molded shape develop. Be sure and save your old carpet since you'll need to measure CAREFULLY for the holes for shifter, etc.

I started on my kit on Saturday, beginning with a stripped and cleaned interior. It took me all day to roughly lay the passenger compartment, so plan PLENTY of time. I spent an hour or two just taking measurements and sketching out a pattern to cut "X"s for shifters, etc.

Next time I go to the shop I'll snap some photos.

Ooooh....thanks. Just ordered the vinyl from auto-interiors.com myself. I would have never guess it'd take that long to install, though. Did you order any additional sound insulation material, or did you keep the padding that was underneath your original carpet and lay the vinyl on top of it?

I'd be interested to hear your experience about the vinyl- installation, tips/tricks, durability, etc. I have considered it but didn't know anyone who has actually installed it and used it.

heyjpark1 said:
Ooooh....thanks. Just ordered the vinyl from auto-interiors.com myself. I would have never guess it'd take that long to install, though. Did you order any additional sound insulation material, or did you keep the padding that was underneath your original carpet and lay the vinyl on top of it?
UPDATE: Still working on it. Yes, it takes forever if you want to install it right. My kit came with padding for the important areas, but no padding for under the front seat. I went to my friendly neighborhood carpet store and picked up a scrap.
I also added the thick version of Duramax sound deadening over the muffler and cat, with the thinner stuff being used on the trans tunnel and driver's side. I used a 4 pack of the larger (~16" square) and a 6 pack of the smaller and thinner (~12" square) Duramax. I also bought a 5 pack of Roadrunner sound deadening matt which I used to fill in on the driver's side floor. I'll use the roadrunner matt in the cargo area and roof as well, along with door and rear body panels. The duramax is rated for higher heats, so that's why I concentrated its use around the muffler and transmission areas.
"Re-Molding" the vinyl has proved to be the biggest challenge, particularly with winter weather. I've been heating the cabin with torpedo-style propane heater to a sweat-enducing 110° or so, followed by local applications with a heat gun. After getting warm, I form by hand and rubber mallet, with overnight application of weights where needed. My wife mentioned her dad's friend who years ago used hot 10-15 lb. sandbags he heated in an old oven to use for forming. Would work really well here if I was setup.
Cutting is the hardest part, along with carefully fitting as you go. I worked out from the tunnel towards the front and then out to the sides and finishing at the rear seat. I'm finding its really helpful to pin things down as you go using the bolts for the gas pedal for example to help secure it. I carefully pried up the black clips that hold the electrical harnesses down both rocker arms and made slots in the vinyl so I could secure the vinyl to the rocker arms.

After 1 day and 2 evenings at it, I just about have the front section done having left it last night with some weights in the passenger floor to help form the corners. Forgot the camera, but I'll work on pics this weekend as I do the much easier cargo floor.

Back