• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cig. Lighter Fuse Blows

RenegadeStang

NAXJA Forum User
Wasn't sure to put this in OEM or Modified but here goes:

So I decided to decorate the '98 XJ for Christmas. Got the lights and garland and wreath on. Plugged the lights into my new 100W power inverter I got. It, in turn, has a cigarette lighter plug. I plug it into my cigarette lighter instead of my power outlet, so the lights go out when I shut off my ignition. The lights come on, I drive around for a lil' while. When I get home, the lights are off. I check the mini-fuse (10A) on the inverter, and it's not blown. I check the cigarette lighter fuse behind my kick panel, and it's blown. Now the cig lighter fuse is a 25A. The inverter fuse is a 10A. This is just me thinking, but I figured the 10A would've blown before the 25A, right? Would it be possible for me to get one of those female-side cigarette lighter plugs and wire it straight to the battery? I hate to have done all this decorating for nothing... LOL

RenegadeStang said:
Wasn't sure to put this in OEM or Modified but here goes:

So I decided to decorate the '98 XJ for Christmas. Got the lights and garland and wreath on. Plugged the lights into my new 100W power inverter I got. It, in turn, has a cigarette lighter plug. I plug it into my cigarette lighter instead of my power outlet, so the lights go out when I shut off my ignition. The lights come on, I drive around for a lil' while. When I get home, the lights are off. I check the mini-fuse (10A) on the inverter, and it's not blown. I check the cigarette lighter fuse behind my kick panel, and it's blown. Now the cig lighter fuse is a 25A. The inverter fuse is a 10A. This is just me thinking, but I figured the 10A would've blown before the 25A, right? Would it be possible for me to get one of those female-side cigarette lighter plugs and wire it straight to the battery? I hate to have done all this decorating for nothing... LOL
depends, is the 10 amp fuse on the invert on the input power side or the output power side.
Depending on the load and the inverters effieciency I'd expect it to pull 10-15A 12V DC.
Of course, a malfunction of the inverter may have also caused the fuse to pop.
If you do decide to wire it direct to the battery use an inline fuse and the proper sized wire.

Back