• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP aw4 problem 90xj

NOS/86

NAXJA Forum User
ok , heres what its doing .

it seems to shift just fine driving on the street . all 4 gears and good firm shifts .

but last time out wheelin . and this started just all of sudden too .

was cilmbing a set of rocks and the trans starts acting like it is slipping /or the converter is stall . (i wheel it in the drive postion on shifter ) it was still pulling slowly .

i backed off the hill , checked the trans fuild (smeeled fine /no burnt smell), added just a little (half qt. maybe)

hit the hill again . did same thing .(slipping/stalling) this time i pulled it down into 1st and it took off just fine .

i then let it cool down , thinking i might have just got it hot .

after this i started playing with it and noiticed that the trans will shift fine in drive as long as it isn't in a hard pull .

all most acts like it won't downshift . evertime i tryed to go up a hill or get it in a pull i had to manuel pull the shifter into 1st and shift it back into drive . it seemed to work fine that way with no slip/stalling .

i almost thing its a solinoid or something else because i wheeled the rest of the day with no problems . well but for the manuel shifting . and i guess i put about 30 miles (wheelin) on it after this happened .

help .....thanks eric

fuse is good on the tcu right? fuse (under the dash centered under the glove box) on the passenger side blows and it will keep starting out the trans in 2nd gear IIRC.

yellowxj said:
fuse is good on the tcu right? fuse (under the dash centered under the glove box) on the passenger side blows and it will keep starting out the trans in 2nd gear IIRC.

i hate to say but it was the fuse . i checked it and it was good . after checking again found it was loose and had dirt in the conections .

thanks naxja

You didn't notice it wasn't going into first when driving normally on roads, or was it just that the fuse would unseat itself unless you were on an incline or whatever? And then on flat ground it would reseat itself?

Where's the fuse? I didn't see one.....all I see is a plug into my TCU.....no problem, just curious.

Blaine B. said:
You didn't notice it wasn't going into first when driving normally on roads, or was it just that the fuse would unseat itself unless you were on an incline or whatever? And then on flat ground it would reseat itself?

Where's the fuse? I didn't see one.....all I see is a plug into my TCU.....no problem, just curious.

the fuse is under the glove box . (yellow wire) it was a little loose and had mud all in it . i guess it wasn't making a good conection . theres as much dirt inside of my xj as there is outside .

depends on what year you have IIRC. Renix's ones have the fuse I believe it was deleted when they went to mopar system cause the ECU controls the trans...IIRC...

yellowxj said:
depends on what year you have IIRC. Renix's ones have the fuse I believe it was deleted when they went to mopar system cause the ECU controls the trans...IIRC...

Close. The fuse was deleted with the change to the Chrysler ECU, but the trans computer is essentially the same. The only differences are that the TPS signal is provided by the ECU instead of a dual output sensor, and the diagnostic lines from the TCU are daisy chained to the ECU for OBDI compliance.

Back