• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Diff. Not fitting back in 90 D35

Sam Im Is

NAXJA Forum User
I had the side bearings go out on the diff. After removing the bearings and checking the old carrier, the sides were the bearings have to be pressed on were ground down (therefore new carrier was needed). Only problem now is trying to get the diff back in with original shims on either side. I can get one side in, but not the other. Tried tapping one of the shims in slowly and as it got to the last bit the factory shim broke. Measured out some new ones and they just bend b/c there so thin. :gonnablow Any easy ways on getting the diff back in when a housing spreader isnt avail?

if you're replacing the carrier you will need to set the gears back up. i't spossible that the carrier you have may just be a tad bit bigger than the one you replaced.
The shims control the backlash, you'll need to set them back up.

87manche said:
if you're replacing the carrier you will need to set the gears back up. i't spossible that the carrier you have may just be a tad bit bigger than the one you replaced.
The shims control the backlash, you'll need to set them back up.
Good explanation just wana add that if the old carrier was ground down whome ever was working on t before may have done that to make it fit:peace: You may wana look into a housing spreader

Ok, you will have to refresh my memory, how do i go about checking and setting up the backlash? Someone also suggested i put the carrier in a cold freezer for a day or two to try to shirink it a bit. Is this also an option, either way im still gonna need to check the backlash right?

either way you need to check the backlash.
It's like installing a full case locker.
Get a mag base dial indicator. Attach it to the housing, with the indicator on the ring gear teeth, hold the pinion securly, rock the ring gear back and forth against the pinion. That's your backlash number.
I forget what spec is.

When I did my Detroit I used a rubber mallet to tap it into place.

Sam Im Is said:
Ok, you will have to refresh my memory, how do i go about checking and setting up the backlash? Someone also suggested i put the carrier in a cold freezer for a day or two to try to shirink it a bit. Is this also an option, either way im still gonna need to check the backlash right?

Either way you are going to need to check the backlash.

You could put the carrier in the freezer. Or you could just remove the shims on one side and start working from there.

Did you press the bearings on with the Bearing races, cause you need to do that to seat them properly.

When you change the carrier you need to start from scratch.

The shims also set bearing pre-load and thats where you need to start.

The pinion must be out to set the pre-load.
You want equal numbers of shims in each side to cause 3# of pre-load on the carrier.
Next reinstall the pinion and the carrier and shims, next to adjust the backlash you MOVE shims from one side to the other, to keep the correct pre-load.

Thats why you must start with shims that are the same and equal on both sides.

Its easly a couple of hours to get it set up correct, a bad setup will not last 1000 miles.

Back