• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case loves 4Hi/ hates 4 Lo

centralmax

NAXJA Forum User
my np 231 on my 1991 cherokee wont go into 4 lo. I adjusted the linkage the way its supposed to be and it just feels like Neutral is the last gear in it. Shifts fine between 2hi, 4hi, and neutral.. then stops. NO weird noise or anything, oil looks fine . 145k on the engine, trans and transfer case.
ANY CLUES?

basso4735 said:
arent you supposed to shift into 4lo while rolling?

You can do this - though the manual advises only doing it at speeds of 2-3mph. In reality, though, most people find it easier to stop, put the transmission in neutral, then shift into 4LO.

Back to the original question: have you a) double- and triple-checked that your linkage adjustment is correct, and b) changed out the transfer case fluid?

Even if rolling and shifting the trans into neutral, I'm not able to pull the lever back into neutral or 4lo unless I'm at a complete stop........it's just able to be pulled back, at that time.

ive tryed it from neutral, park, rolling, laying under and rotatingthe damn driveshafts and pulling the lever ON the case.. there is somthing im missing. The linkage is adjusted so that there is 4mm of clearance in 4 hi, since i cant get it into 4 lo there is no way to adjust it while in 4 lo.

did u swap t-cases and accidently leave the 242 shift plate in?

Either lift the vehicle off the ground and try shifting the linkage from under neath( make sure u have a bungie strapped to the tranny shifter) or take the drive shafts off the t-case and shift it in 4-lo. Then adjust. Adjust it so u can go from 2w to 4lo clean and smooth.

My t-case shifts fine when the tranny is in nuetral/drive or slowly rolling.

just out of curiosity, are you pulling straight back on the 4wd shifter? on mine i know its offset on 4 lo (think like shifting to reverse on a standard tranny). i think its built in like that to keep from inadvertantly (sp?) shifting into 4 low.

i know from experience that it can get realy dirty under the center consol. after buying my heep, i couldnt figure out what that smell was. turns out there was a bunch of debris (lost of sucker sticks, pens, pencils etc) under the center consol. maybe there is something obstructing yours.

Did you try removing the linkage between the transfer case and the lever attached to the shifter, and then check to see if you can shift the transfer case into 4-low using the lever on the transfer case? This would help isolate the problem to either the transfer case or the shifter mechanism.

good question on the 231 -242 shift plate.. but it is a 231 tcase, i looked today.
I was trying (unsuccesfully) to say that I disconnected the linkage and tryed shifting it with the lever attatched to the t case and it still wouldnt go... its pissen me off. Probably gonna have to go get another one, which pisses me off even more cause i know this ones good

Back