• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Ignition Issues (Neutral Safety Switch I think...)

.dotfortune

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96' Cherokee Country (2wd) with the AW4 Automatic Trans and Inline 6 engine. Lately I've been having some trouble getting the engine ignition to work. Turning the key once (or halfway) turns on all my ac, sterio, etc etc, but turning it fully to turn the engine over, sometimes does nothing...

I usually switch from Park to Neutral (sometimes many tries) and eventually it starts. I called a mechanic/welder (Grandpa) and he said that the neutral Safety Switch is out of adjustment. He also said that the location is somewhat different from vehicle to vehicle.

I need to know where this adjustment thingy is, and what tools I need to use to put it back in adjustment.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

OK if your neutral switch is out of adjustment try this - if it does not start keep the key turned in start position and move the shift lever(with foot on brake) until the engine turns over.

If that does not work, I would say look at the ignition switch under the dash.

Likely not out of alignment, but dirty. IIRC the NSS is part of the electric gear switch assy on the pass side of the AW4 transmission. Remove it, dissasemble it, clean it, and reinstall it. I rememebr seeing an article on a DIY proceedure, but I can't remember where on the internet I saw it.

Back