• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

atlas ll install, ? spacer needed,question

mikeyl

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i did the searches and have seen the various answers but i still have this question. (91 with around 6" lift) when i ordered my atlas ll for my aw4 with a sye 242 i asked for everything needed ,but they must have missed the adapter plate call out. the instructions indicate the 1" plate is needed with the aw4 ,but some friends said that they have installed the atlas in this configuration without it (and recently at that). i see that the 242 input shaft is pretty short, about .6 inches. the atlas is (go figure) about 1.6 inches exposed input shaft. this would explain the 1 inch spacer they call out. now if i do what my buds say is okay i will be over engaging the tailshaft of the tranny? (though i thought i heard over the phone someone in the background say they had to pound it in a bit) and if so what consequences does this pose? obviously if it won't seat flush i know that is is a problem, but what if it "just fits" so that i don't notice? i measured it out roughly and it seems real close. does the tranny shaft slip back any during operation? because then it may hit. just a few questions before i lift it into place and see if it evens comes close.
thanks in advance,
mike

My understanding of the problem is that there are several variations of the 23 spline output on the aw4, and the various 23 spline inputs on 231 flavored transfer cases - mine needed the spacer, some dont, you wont know until you do some measuring, AA shipped my tcase without it, but sent it along right away after I saw that I would need it. I'm not sure about over engagement, I test fit mine without and it definitely bottomed out the output shaft, there was no way it would have fit without a spacer. Best bet would be to measure and test fit the case (you like exercise I hope ;-)) to see. You may want to test fit it anyway for clearances, it is a tight fit.

As I look at this pic (Atlas on the right):
HPIM1320.jpg

It would seem to me that as long as you have full engagement of the splines on the tranny output shaft (which the 242 did with a .6" input shaft), it wouldn't be any problem to cut down the input of the Atlas to the same length as the 242 (or the longest it can be and still mount properly). I would assume that they have the input at that length to accomodate different applications and adapters, and I'm also assuming that you can bolt the Atlas right up to the AW4 using the stock t-case mounting plate.

Having never done this before, don't take my word for it. I'll have more first hand experience when the t-case on the left in the pic arrives here at the end of this month ;)

Just call AA & they'll ship you a spacer & studs for free. They say if you have more than 1/2" of shaft stick out from your tranny, you should use the spacer.

Rob

Capt. Nemo said:
it wouldn't be any problem to cut down the input of the Atlas to the same length as the 242 (or the longest it can be and still mount properly).

well, i would definitely not cut up a $2000.00+ piece of equipment if there is a part out there that will make it work and is FREE.

my $.02

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
well, i would definitely not cut up a $2000.00+ piece of equipment if there is a part out there that will make it work and is FREE.

my $.02

-Tim

That statement was followed by assumptions for a reason...
1) People he knows have done the same conversion without an adapter.
2) He specifically asked AA to send everything he needed.

Based on those two things, I made that statement. Of course, I wouldn't go cutting into anything that the instructions specifically state to cut into. My point was that these are universal cases for various applications, they just might require some modifying to work for a specific application. :thumbup:

Capt. Nemo said:
That statement was followed by assumptions for a reason...
1) People he knows have done the same conversion without an adapter.
2) He specifically asked AA to send everything he needed.

Based on those two things, I made that statement. Of course, I wouldn't go cutting into anything that the instructions specifically state to cut into. My point was that these are universal cases for various applications, they just might require some modifying to work for a specific application. :thumbup:

sorry nemo, i wasnt tryin to be mean. i definitely agree that "universal" parts, and sometimes even parts for XJs need to be slightly modified for individual vehicles. and, yes, some XJs with AW4s can take an Atlas without the spacer, if they had the long input NP231/242 to begin with.

i just didnt want the kid to go run to the garage and hack 1" off his input before trying the spacer first. :)

sorry if i came across the wrong way
-tim

jeepnuts311 said:
sorry nemo, i wasnt tryin to be mean. i definitely agree that "universal" parts, and sometimes even parts for XJs need to be slightly modified for individual vehicles. and, yes, some XJs with AW4s can take an Atlas without the spacer, if they had the long input NP231/242 to begin with.

i just didnt want the kid to go run to the garage and hack 1" off his input before trying the spacer first. :)

sorry if i came across the wrong way
-tim

No worries. I shouldn't have posted in the first place. :kissyou:

hey guys, no problem. i wouldn't hack the shaft unless i knew there wasn't spacer. turns out that i will need it. i tried to install it today and it bottomed with about 3/8 to a 1/2 inch showing. so of course i had to put everything back since it is my daily driver. oh well! at least i know exactly what i'm doing when i get the spacer. plus it gave me a chance to measure up what the rear driveshaft should be! i figured it was going to be close while i had the 242 off but was hoping that it would fit.anyway i'll just do it again.
as a clarification , it wasn't the fault of the vendor about the spacer, he probly had seen a few go in without it and didn't realize that advanced calls it out. no problem, it was a general all around mistake from both sides. too funny though, it's been awhile since this long side of 40 year old has been called a kid!

Back