• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking/ticking noise under acceleration

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
'01 xj 74k np231 8.25

Under light, mild, or heavy acceleration, it doesn't matter, i get this weird clicking or ticking noise. I know typically this is a sticky lifter or some other valvetrain noise, but it isn't a consistent noise. It kinda sounds like metal being shaked, it's real hard to explain..........but it doesn't sound like your typical consistent valvetrain click.

The noise goes away when i remain at a constant speed, it's only under acceleration. And the noise isn't present under braking or decelleration.....

Some suggestions or help?? could i have a collapsed lifter?? i won't have time to take the valve cover off to check for a couple weeks.........thanks

No. A collapsed lifter will produce a ticking noise all the time. I should know 'cause I had one recently in my stroker.
Your problem sounds like an exhaust manifold leak, either from a crack in the manifold or from the manifold gasket to the cylinder head.
Another possibility is that your engine is pinging because you've got heavy carbon deposits in the combustion chambers. You could run some Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner down the throttle body and see if this improves things. Just follow the instructions on the can.

I have this exact same problem with my 1987 Jeep Wagoneer. I did have to replace my manifold, but the problem keeps returning. Since replacing the manifold I have had the gasket replaced twice. The last replacement only lasted about two weeks before ticking again. I am at a loss on how to fix this.

Is it possible that the port surface on the head is warped? Has anyone had a machinist shave this surface flat?

Back