• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Type Of Code Reader For A 1989 XJ ?

OldFarts4X4

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what type of code reader is needed for a 1989 XJ ?

any recommendations for an inexpensive brand / model ?

I will only need it for my 89

Thank You :cheers:

I would love to get my hands on one too, :scottm:.

I am afraid the answer these days for the pre OBD systems is to get a VOM, (Volt Ohm Meter) for the older Renix systems like yours and mine. Mine is a 1987.

I did find a nice old style engine analyser (lap top size :woohoo:) on Ebay after 2 years of daily shoping:gag:. It works great but it does not talk directly to the Renix computer and thus can not report any error codes, only engine performance. Most of the old shop analyzers are huge BeHemoths and they do not report the Renix error codes either.

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

Last edited:
there's a snap on reader that can tell you all of the sensor outputs, that's about as good as it get's for Renix.
it's terribly expensive.
Snap on mt 2500 I believe.
Anyway, get yourself a factory service manual for your year and a GOOD digital multi meter.
Buy a cheapy analog volt meter for things like the TPS.
There's not much that you can't figure out on a renix rig with just the manual and the voltmeter.

Not to get off topic but a neat thing i seen in the paper was www.carmd.com for $89.99 its an OBDII reader that after you plug into your vehicle you then plug into the computer and it will give you the meaning of the code and give you possible solutions.

X2 on FSM and a good mutli-meter. Renix was not OBD compliant. We got a couple of used Snap-On diag. tools for $1200 a piece, you can get an FSM and a GOOD multimeter (we have a Blue Point that works great) for a LOT less.

autozone pulls codes for free they can be a pain about clearing them though

RENIX is "pre-OBD" - it does not "store" or "throw" codes. Hell, RENIX doesn't even have a CEL/MIL output.

You can try to find an FSM (I think there's a 1990 up in the "for sale" section I'm not going to grab - I have one) and/or get the RENIX Fuel Injection manual from either Pirate or Strokers (I believe they both have it - groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers for the latter) and get a decent multi-meter.

Most tests can be readily performed with a digital multi-meter (DMM,) but there are a couple that require an analogue ("sweep") meter. Also, you'll need some sort of backprobe pins for things like checking the TPS, since you need to leave it connected.

5-90

What is a CEL or MIL output?

I have a pdf manual on the 1987 -1990 Renix that says a DRB-II vehicle tester can collect fault details that are stored in the Renix KAM (Keep Alive Memory) but that the fault must exist for more than 2 seconds to be stored. It also says the DRB-II can monitor 6 sensors live in addition to displaying 6 stored KAM faults.

Does anyone have a DRB-II diagnostic tester?

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

CEL = Check Engine Lamp
MIL = Maintenance Indicator Lamp

A CEL/MIL output is, unsurprisingly, the output signal that drives the CEL/MIL in OBD-equipped vehicles. It drives illuminating the CEL/MIL to indicate a "hard fault" code stored, and also drives it to display fault codes.

You can use a DRB-II or a Snap-On MT2500 (basic cartridges, JEEP-1 adapter) to get realtime driveability data and monitor sensors inputs to the ECU, but there aren't any codes to work with. Also, most diagnostic tests can be done easily with a DMM (as I mentioned) and a little know-how, so a DRB-II/MT2500 isn't absolutely necessary to work on a RENIX.

I should know - I've got five of them!

5-90

OK, so the CEL and MIL are close cousins to the IL, right? :laugh:

So you have 5 whats? DRB-II and MT-2500's or Renix jeeps? (or 5 of both?)

Why does page 86 of the 4.0 L Multi-Point Fuel Injection System system diagnosis section of the manual say "Faults are displayed in the format of: Device xx yy where Device is a designation of the sensor monitored, xx is a one or two digit number indicating the value stored for low value failures, and yy is is a one or two digit number indicating the value stored high value failures.....etc. on the DRB-II if the ECU is not storing fault data, or are you saying the fault data it stores is not a code like the ORB devices use.

Since I don't have a DRB-II I am just repeating what I am reading in this manual.

By the way, did I mention that I love really cool GADGETS!!!!! (like DRB-II's)

I agree a lot can be done with a DMM (I own about 20 of them, correction about five of them are analog VOM, and one is a WWII vintage tube VOM). In fact DMM's can do a lot of tests a code reader can not do. Good point!

MIke McGinness
South Houston, TX

Ecomike said:
OK, so the CEL and MIL are close cousins to the IL, right? :laugh:

So you have 5 whats? DRB-II and MT-2500's or Renix jeeps? (or 5 of both?)

Why does page 86 of the 4.0 L Multi-Point Fuel Injection System system diagnosis section of the manual say "Faults are displayed in the format of: Device xx yy where Device is a designation of the sensor monitored, xx is a one or two digit number indicating the value stored for low value failures, and yy is is a one or two digit number indicating the value stored high value failures.....etc. on the DRB-II if the ECU is not storing fault data, or are you saying the fault data it stores is not a code like the ORB devices use.

Since I don't have a DRB-II I am just repeating what I am reading in this manual.

By the way, did I mention that I love really cool GADGETS!!!!! (like DRB-II's)

I agree a lot can be done with a DMM (I own about 20 of them, correction about five of them are analog VOM, and one is a WWII vintage tube VOM). In fact DMM's can do a lot of tests a code reader can not do. Good point!

MIke McGinness
South Houston, TX

Wow - a VTVM? I wish I could find tubes for mine - I'm loath to use it...

Five RENIX rigs - NO DRB or MT2500, yet (I'm in the market for a fairly inexpensive MT2500 - anyone got one they don't use anymore?)

I'm not sure what you're calling an "IL" - is that short for "indicator lamp?" That could be anything...

Meanwhile, check the vintage of your manual. If you can't find the RENIXFI manual at either of the places I listed, email me (dragonland2001 AT yahoo DOT com) and I'll send you a .pdf file. Make sure you let me know what your filesize limit is - it fits through most, but if yours is set low, I'll have to send it in pieces as a "spanned archive."

Once again, RENIX does not RPT not store Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in any wise, and it doesn't store performance data from one run cycle to the next (as I recall - but I need to find that notebook. I've been hit in the head too many times...)

Yeah, I'm a gadget freak as well - and I've even got a few in mind I need to build to make common tasks simpler...

5-90

Il is the generic acronym for Check engine, check oil & check water, etc, lights. Otherwise known as Idiot Lights, LOL, but I guess indicator lamp works too.

Last time I checked, new tubes were still available from Radio Shack by mail order and there were tons of used, tested and guaranteed ones going pretty cheap on Ebay back in 2001. I remember the term VTVM but I have forgotten the exact wording (V Tube Volt Meter?). The VTVM was my fathers (passed away in 1984). I still have a huge cache of his old WW II surplus ham radio gear, including a heathkit tube model oscilloscope and my older brothers hand made 2 KW transmitter. I managed to hang on to about 200 tubes from back then too, along with a tube tester, but it needs a little work. Another round to it project. An engineer friend of mine has a working tube tester here in Houston.

Getting back to Jeeps, John Lang from this group emailed me the manual I am quoting from, last week. He also clued me into this fantastic group here last week. THanks John!!!

It is on page 86 under system diagnosis for the 1987-89 Renix models. See the Bold section called "KAM" halfway down the first column. Stands for Keep Alive Memory (KAM), so apparently the ECU has non-volatile rewritable memory after all, even though none of the other manuals ever mention it. You are correct that it does not store trouble codes, but it says it stores high and low failure values if they existed for more than 2 seconds. The manual John sent me looks to be more complete on the Renix ECU details than the ones you have posted on
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower/files/
and it is more complete than the FSM version I just bought and just received 3 days ago (Jeep Renaul Component Service Manual, titled "Multi-Point Fuel Injection (MPI) Systems"#8989 010 547, INJ. MPI USA/Canada Edition, Revised January, 1987, 90 pages but half of it covers the 2.5 liter engine version, Copyright 1987, American Motors Corporation and Jeep Corporation, Cherokee/Wagoneer/Comache/Medaliaon).

I just uploaded the pdf of the John Lang manual I was quoting above to your Jeep group site: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower/files/

Time for a nap here, later....

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

Ecomike said:
Il is the generic acronym for Check engine, check oil & check water, etc, lights. Otherwise known as Idiot Lights, LOL, but I guess indicator lamp works too.

Last time I checked, new tubes were still available from Radio Shack by mail order and there were tons of used, tested and guaranteed ones going pretty cheap on Ebay back in 2001. I remember the term VTVM but I have forgotten the exact wording (V Tube Volt Meter?). The VTVM was my fathers (passed away in 1984). I still have a huge cache of his old WW II surplus ham radio gear, including a heathkit tube model oscilloscope and my older brothers hand made 2 KW transmitter. I managed to hang on to about 200 tubes from back then too, along with a tube tester, but it needs a little work. Another round to it project. An engineer friend of mine has a working tube tester here in Houston.

Getting back to Jeeps, John Lang from this group emailed me the manual I am quoting from, last week. He also clued me into this fantastic group here last week. THanks John!!!

It is on page 86 under system diagnosis for the 1987-89 Renix models. See the Bold section called "KAM" halfway down the first column. Stands for Keep Alive Memory (KAM), so apparently the ECU has non-volatile rewritable memory after all, even though none of the other manuals ever mention it. You are correct that it does not store trouble codes, but it says it stores high and low failure values if they existed for more than 2 seconds. The manual John sent me looks to be more complete on the Renix ECU details than the ones you have posted on
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower/files/
and it is more complete than the FSM version I just bought and just received 3 days ago (Jeep Renaul Component Service Manual, titled "Multi-Point Fuel Injection (MPI) Systems"#8989 010 547, INJ. MPI USA/Canada Edition, Revised January, 1987, 90 pages but half of it covers the 2.5 liter engine version, Copyright 1987, American Motors Corporation and Jeep Corporation, Cherokee/Wagoneer/Comache/Medaliaon).

I just uploaded the pdf of the John Lang manual I was quoting above to your Jeep group site: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower/files/

Time for a nap here, later....

Mike McGinness
South Houston, TX

VTVM = Vacuum Tube VoltMeter.

I'll check out those manuals later - just to make sure they're something I haven't gotten yet. I've got plenty - I just don't have a scanner at the moment...

5-90

5-90, you said "You can use a DRB-II or a Snap-On MT2500 (basic cartridges, JEEP-1 adapter) to get realtime driveability data and monitor sensors inputs to the ECU"

Would this give realtime codes, or the same data I could get with a meter , just realtime ?

Bear with me here, back when I turned wrenches the newest technology was the AIR pump and the EGR valve.

But one benefit to being a disabled old fart, I have about 30,000 NOS tubes.

If you want to get your VTVM going again ........

I have 5 or 6 of THOSE still ! :party:

A number of the sensor outputs are routed to the two yellow diagnostic connectors on the passenger side. I assume thats where the MT2500 plugs in? The renix AW4 TCU also has a pair of wires routed there, which makes me wonder what kind of inputs/outputs you could get from it.

You don't get codes, you get real time data, ex. voltage, RPM,temp, etc. It lets you know what the sensors are reading, but it doesn't read codes on pre 91', they were not OBD and did not "throw" codes.
The Snap-On tool is handy but a FSM and multi-meter will tell you the same thing, just easier to plug tool into port and go from there. We work on more than Jeeps so the "tool" is handy for us.

OldFarts4X4 said:
5-90, you said "You can use a DRB-II or a Snap-On MT2500 (basic cartridges, JEEP-1 adapter) to get realtime driveability data and monitor sensors inputs to the ECU"

Would this give realtime codes, or the same data I could get with a meter , just realtime ?

Bear with me here, back when I turned wrenches the newest technology was the AIR pump and the EGR valve.

But one benefit to being a disabled old fart, I have about 30,000 NOS tubes.

If you want to get your VTVM going again ........

I have 5 or 6 of THOSE still ! :party:

No codes - data. It would give you interpreted data from the ECU. I've not been able to find any sort of DTC listing for RENIX, and I've had access to an MT2500 a few times, and didn't see anything that referred to codes.

Hm - I'd have to dig the thing out and see what it wants, since I haven't had the thing out for years...

And no trouble on teaching - when I started turning wrenches, I came up on points and condensers, and magnetos were king in performance. So, I understand the learning curve issue...

5-90

IF an error occurs while the DRBII is connected, it will give you a code. At least mine does. You run through the different tests on the DRBII's menu, and if somethig doesn't come back correct, it will give you a P-code. You then reference the P code and find out what the problem is.

This is only good if the issue keeps repeating itself, if it happens once while you are driving, you can't go back and get the code, it has to happen during one of the DRBII's diagnostic tests.

Back