• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ Front washer pump location

odin455

NAXJA Forum User

Probably a silly question, but trying to locate the front washer pump for
my '97 XJ. How does one go about replacing something one cannot find?

Thanks!

It is underneath the drivers fender if I remember correctly. Nice place to put it too.

The only way to get to it, I think, is removing the inner fender liner or removing the fender itself.

Me...I'd go with removing the liner.

Good luck.

It's in the drivers side fender on the bottom of the tank. There will be two if you have a rear wiper. IIRC you should be able to get to it by just pulling the front part of the liner back. You shouldn't have to remove it all.

Thanks guys -

Pushed the salt and ice slime away from the panel, and looks like it is not too hard to get into. Too bad my local parts store did not have a pump in stock today!

My washer pump took a crap as well, but niether my front or rear washer works?

Are there two separate pumps for each wiper (front and rear) if so I'm thinking it may not be thw pump? It's kind of strange for two pumps to go at once. Possibly a fuse, or something?

it's not uncommon for the spray nozzles to get crusted up with dirt/salt and ice during the winter. try spraying them down with some warm water and get the smallest sewing needle you can find and carefully poke it inside the spray hole in the nozzle. see if that helps.

and make sure that the fluid in the reservoir and lines aren't frozen. when i worked at the dealership, over 1/2 of the washer not working complaints during winter months were because of frozen lines. often times there would be old summer fluid at the bottom of the reservoir and freeze solid. people would then quickly poor winter fluid in at the first sign of snow and not even notice that the bottom near the pump was already frozen.

Back