• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep wont start unless I hold peddle down!

Littleg182

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep has been acting up for the past month or so. Its a 1996 xj 4.0 2wd. Anyways it all started when I switched to synthetic oil, as soon as i switch I gained three new oil leaks but I fixed two of them and just have one now. Shortly after, my intake tubing going to my throttle body popped off and I discovered it sometime after it happened. By this time my jeep was acting up and not starting..high idle...dieing after start...not staying running. So I cleaned the throttle body which was full of carbon and probably some grit and dirt. So then my jeep worked fine for a day or two. Then It just got worse and worse doing the same thing again. So I cleaned the throttle body again yesterday and it runs alright but the idle still seems to be a little high when I let off the gas when driving. It doesn't want to drop down like it should. For instance...I'll be doing 45 and i let off the gas and i will still be doing 45

Now heres the problem Its almost like it doesn't get any fuel when I start it without the peddle being pushed down. Where do I start in fixing this???!??!

Also it has 115,000 miles and no codes on the computer. HELP!!:banghead:

change fuel filter and check for leaks on or around the fuel rail. If after that you are still having problems you should check the fuel pressure regulator.

Yes I have, I actually bought a new one about 3 weeks ago and It still acts the same as the oem one. I switched them out a few times just to see and they both made the engine act the same.

Also one more thing, It starts without the peddle when I let it sit over night. If that helps.

Someone diagnose me!! Might it be clogged fuel injectors? I'm on empty so ill go and fill up with gas and fuel injector cleaner and drive around some. Maybe that will help.

Thanks

Alright!!!! Something even better just happened. I started the jeep a little bit ago and let it run until now. And i go back out in the garage and the top left corner of the radiator is flowing coolant and its not coming from the hose! I love my jeep. I'm going to go play with matches underneath my heep now. Yes i said Heep not Jeep. Anyone want to trade?? Heres a picture
Jeepbama013.jpg

Littleg182 said:
Yes I have, I actually bought a new one about 3 weeks ago and It still acts the same as the oem one. I switched them out a few times just to see and they both made the engine act the same.

Also one more thing, It starts without the peddle when I let it sit over night. If that helps.

Someone diagnose me!! Might it be clogged fuel injectors? I'm on empty so ill go and fill up with gas and fuel injector cleaner and drive around some. Maybe that will help.

Thanks

I ask about tests not replacing, you need to start with testing. You seem to have a TPS problem but that don't mean the TPS is bad.

Also have the codes pulled, but don't run out and buy more parts untill testing shows a part is bad.

Alright, I did some messing with a few of the vacuum lines disconnected and reconnected and wiggled. It seems to run fine now, even idles where it should. The main vacuum line seems to be a little loose on the nipple it connects to. Is there a certain type of hose to replace it?

langer1 said:
I ask about tests not replacing, you need to start with testing. You seem to have a TPS problem but that don't mean the TPS is bad.

Also have the codes pulled, but don't run out and buy more parts untill testing shows a part is bad.

The only reason I replaced the TPS is because it was black with carbon inside and out. I was told it was better to replace them rather than clean them since they are sensors.

I had the same problem on my 1996 XJ. I bet you or someone else put in a lower than 195 degree t-stat. That was my problem. The Jeep would start great cold. If I drove my cold jeep two miles to the store, turned it off, went shopping for 10 minutes, the jeep would not start unless I flored it.

I then took the jeep to my new mechanic with great diagnostic skills. He instantly discovered that when it was started from cold, it would not warm up quick enough to enter "closed loop" or whatever the term was. He then knew it was the t-stat. He pulled the t-stat and discovered that the previous mechanic put in a 160 degree. All problems were solved with the 195.

Tom

About 6 months. I lived in Chicago at the time and must have discovered it with the change of seasons.

Back