• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rapping noise when stopped and in drive??

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
OK my 1999 XJ auto, 231 is just giving me hell this week. anyway, has anyone else experienced this problem. When I come to stop at a red light with my foot on the brake with the car still in gear, i get this hollow tapping noise, like an interior rattle but it sounds kinda muffled??? It is bugging the hell out of me. However, as soon as I shift into neutral or park, it immediately quits. It is also only present when I am at a complete stop. I let the car creep forward by letting of the brake (in drive), and it is gone.

I just can't understand it, and it is really, really annoying. Friend said it might be exhaust??? i don't know. :helpme:

I would check your tranny and motor mounts ?

I would additionally check loose tranny to engine bolts aswell as flexplate bolts.

those are the initial culprits that come to mind first.

pete

Yeah if you give it the slightest bit of gas, or even let the car inch forwards at idle it goes away. I did notice one exhaust mount thats rusted through though... in fact they all look shitty. here's some pics, the one at the top being the worst.

Still I grabbed the exhaust shook it and it felt solid, so this doesn't explain it, does it? I'd like to replace them anyway tho... anyone know where to get them?

Re: Rapping noise when stopped and in drive?? FIXED!

it was the f#$%#@ exhaust mounts. a quick trip to home depot to pick up some u bolts and plates and tightened down and voila! noise gone. great because that was REALLY annoying.

Back