• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Gauge always reads full

CherokeeDude

NAXJA Forum User
I have owned my Jeep for over a year now, & ever sense I have had it, my gas gauge always reads full, actually the needle is down past the full mark. Does anybody know what my problem is & what do I need to do to get my gas gauge working?

Specs:

1985 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2.5l, 4cyl
T4, 4spd
NP207

Thanks!

They have two different kind of senders, one shows full at max resisitance (wire disconnected or open circuit) the other shows empty when the circuit is open (depends on the model run).
If yours is like the YJ, an open circuit will cause the gage to go all the way up to full. A dirty connector (extra resistance), will cause the gage to show more than you acutally have in the tank.
I'd do an ohm test on the harness and if that chcecks out OK, the connector at the gage cluster is a known trouble spot on the YJ (oxidation), may also be a problem spot on the early XJ.
I've torn some of the fuel pump/sender harness out of my XJ before, driving over dead branches in the fields.

Must be nice to always have a full tank. :jester:

Get under the rear of that thing and check the wire going to the sender, you can reach up in there & feel if it's connected or not at the top of the tank. Probably is not.

Back