• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will door fit from 96 to 97?

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I was visually comparing the doors of a 96 and a 97 XJs.
Besides the window itself, they looked the same.
Is it posible to swap the driver's door of a 97 with the door of a 96?
Wondering minds....wondering. :)

this has been covered before, but the short answer is yes.

for a longer answer...besides the door, you need the stricker from the newer style welded in, so it's not a direct bolt on.

dfreeman616 said:
besides the door, you need the stricker from the newer style.
True
dfreeman616 said:
welded in, so it's not a direct bolt on.
Not so true. Welding is an option but if you get the new striker, take the old one out, and put a bolt through the top hole of the new striker into the hole where the old one went...it's a bolt on deal. Kejtar has done a write up on here...I have also done it to my 1990, just haven't done a write up. Let me know if you have any more questions.
-Collin

That was my Jeep that Kejtar did the writeup on. It was simple enough. The hard part is the wiring, as the harnesses are different.

After I rolled my Jeep, I cut the modified harnesses out and gave them to Kejtar. He was gonna document how to splice the two together. But I don't think he's gotten around to it yet.

xjohnnyc said:
That was my Jeep that Kejtar did the writeup on. It was simple enough. The hard part is the wiring, as the harnesses are different.

After I rolled my Jeep, I cut the modified harnesses out and gave them to Kejtar. He was gonna document how to splice the two together. But I don't think he's gotten around to it yet.

I got this message while searching for Kejtar's writeup, still haven't found it.
So, basically if you don't have electric windows and door locks, you can grab a 96 and earlier door and bolt it on a 97+ with just a striker replacement.
That's great news. I like the pre 97 doors and don't want to give it up when I start using my 99.
How long ago did you do it?

So you're going the other way? You want to put a pre-97 door on a 97+ XJ, right? Usually people do it the other way around.

I think it would be easier your way. The earlier striker is only one bolt, as opposed to two on the newer models.

Yeah, if you have manual windows and locks, it'll be super easy. The hinges are the same. And you can even use your late 97+ side view mirrors on the older doors.

xjohnnyc said:
So you're going the other way? You want to put a pre-97 door on a 97+ XJ, right? Usually people do it the other way around.

I think it would be easier your way. The earlier striker is only one bolt, as opposed to two on the newer models.

Yeah, if you have manual windows and locks, it'll be super easy. The hinges are the same. And you can even use your late 97+ side view mirrors on the older doors.

I just love the little moveable vent window. I now drive a 96 with a 95 vent window, the last year it was available. When I start driving my 99 sometime next year, I'll find a pre 97 door to replace the existing door.
Thanks for the info guys, somehow I was under the impression that the two styles don't match, till a couple of days ago when I happened to see the two side by side.

falcon556 said:
I just love the little moveable vent window. I now drive a 96 with a 95 vent window, the last year it was available. When I start driving my 99 sometime next year, I'll find a pre 97 door to replace the existing door.
Thanks for the info guys, somehow I was under the impression that the two styles don't match, till a couple of days ago when I happened to see the two side by side.
See I love the one piece window and I love the newer side mirrors, that's why I went to the 97+ door. I hate everything else about them though. The way the doors are setup in the new ones is horrible I think. I have base model SE doors so theyre manual windows/locks. I never got the little clips that hold the window crank handles on so they fall of over every bump I go over. I've tried to get ones from a junkyard but they're impossible to get out and back on mine. The armrest material on mine is also peeling off and unlike 96- doors you cant unbolt the armrest from the door so, no real good way to recover it. I'm almost thinking about going back to a 96- door and just cutting the window tracks out of the 97+. Anyway just some differences there. Let us know if you have any more ???s.
-Collin

BigBlackHeep said:
Let us know if you have any more ???s.
-Collin

Just one. The striker is specific to the door. The 97+ has a U bolt and the 96- have a round striker. Will the round striker fit without any modification?
I didn't have a chance to see how they attach to the frame.

can't you transfer all the glass/trim rather than swapping doors, or is the frame different?

Yes you can...i forget who did it, but it required all of the internal door parts, except for the latch, as well as the window channel seal that runs up and around the glass.

red91inWA said:
Yes you can...i forget who did it, but it required all of the internal door parts, except for the latch, as well as the window channel seal that runs up and around the glass.

That's just great.
Changing the door means a paint job, I think they changed the colors on the 97+.
If you remember who did it, let me know so I can narrow my searches, right now I'm not finding anything.

Look close...
xj9697.jpg

(I dont knw the story, just spotted it and took a pic.)

gjxj said:
Look close...

(I dont knw the story, just spotted it and took a pic.)

I guess there is at least one more person that likes the moveable vents.
Looks good.

Last edited:
xjohnnyc said:

How about replacing the latch to match the striker?

Last edited:
BigBlackHeep said:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=636300&postcount=21
There ya go. I'm probably going to go the same route he did here shortly so I can have my old door panels back.

The little vent window was absolutely perfect when I used to smoke.
It sucked all the smoke immediately.
I no longer smoke and I enjoy driving with the vent window open on a nice day.
The one piece windows blow air to the top of my head and gets to my nerves.

falcon556 said:
How about relacing the latch to match the striker?

Interesting...never thought of that. You'd have to compare the two doors to see if the latches are positioned the same, and how they are mounted to the doors.

Back