• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No-Stretch strap.

SwissArmyJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Most recovery straps (Mine included) stretch around 20% for the rubberband effect. Not helpful when using a high lift or come-along for recovery.
I know chains are an easy answer, but they are heavy & noisy in the Jeep.
Does anyone know where to source a 6,000lb strap or rope that can be used in conjunction with a Hi-Lift and 48" of movement?
50ft or more would be great!
Thanks

If you have a commercial marine supply place anywhere nearby, thats the place to check. Tie down strap doesn't stretch, that's mostly what I use for recovery. I've had some bad experiences with straps (and chains) that stretch and spring when something does cut loose.
Chains are tricky, if you get one heavy enough, there will be little or no stretch or spring action to it. But one a little too light and the rings can flex and it will get springy also. And if something does snap or break chains can also fly.
I bought a roll of 5/8" cable (way heavier than I actually needed), special weave, no stretch. Clamped loops in likely places, to attach the high lift with chain. The whole thing rolls up behind my spare tire. I'm carefull to avoid kinks. I use cable ties, to hold the roll together for storage.
You also have to be carefull what you use to loop a chain, bolts can snap and/or the heads can pull through the links. Got to be carefull of your hardware. I use thick rated washers, grade 8 bolts.
I bought a cubic yard of surplus tie down straps from a military auction. I'll often tie them in knots and cut them off when I'm finished.
Don't discount plain old rope, rated synthetic rope is often fairly cheap and dependable. Though the non stretch weaves and the UV protected types can get pricey. They have whole cataloges of straps, rope, chain and cable for marine applications.

Last edited:
do a seach for synthetic winch lines a lot of company's have a premade line with loops on both ends used for adding to a recovery if the original winch line isn't long enough. most of the new synthetics don't stretch much at all.
allen

Having tried to used a strap and a come-along, I know exactly what you're talking about. The comealong only pulls 6 feet at a time and a strap with loops at the ends is useless as it's either too long or too short. I started carrying chain as I could hook onto it anywhere with a chain hook and it didn't stretch.

Thanks for the Ideas!
I first thought of the Synthetic Winch Line (not cheap), but I think I like the Marine Line supply idea. Being an old Navy man I know the kind of load those ropes can handle. Would be nice to be able to tie them as well.

Santa in the brown truck delivered two sections of 5/16" Amsteel blue Extension lines (25' & 75') from Rockstomper.com. This stuff defies logic. Thickness of an extension cord, weight of a pair of socks, and rated to over six and a half tons. Good insurance for my next excursion!
The guys at Rockstomper are great to work with too! Gave a lot of helpful info.

Back