• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Oil

bradss16

NAXJA Forum User
I didnt find anything in the search about this but what engine oils are Good Quality, And Economical. P.S. I ahve a remanufactured 4.0 with 3500 miles on it.

I use Valvoline or Castrol - Chevron in a pinch. Can't seem to find re-refined oil out here - which is odd, I thought CA was the home of recycling? I used to be able to buy the stuff back home all the time...

Avoid Pennzoil like the plague - I have seen entirely too much sludge caused by using Pennzoil (paraffin base...) and the only way I could clean it out was to tear the engine down and SCRAPE it out. It's little more than a layer of wax build-up that gets all over everything, and doesn't help much...

HTH, YMMV

5-90

If you think about cost over the period of time and miles oil is in there and what effect it has, it's pretty cheap. A new rebuild like that for me would be a NO BRAINER... Mobil 1. Regardless of all the other opinions, synthetic IS BETTER. THAT is a fact, not conjecture. Doesn't break down as easily, handles temp variations better without losing viscosity... yadda yadda yadda. ALL new engines come out of the factory with synthetic.

If an extra $25 every 5000 miles is that big a deal, why did you buy a Jeep...

Ditto on Mobile 1, only lost one engine with the stuff and, well, when you don't have enough in the pan to start with and start driving the car hard.....................Yes I was a dumbass on that one.

5-90 said:
I use Valvoline or Castrol - Chevron in a pinch. Can't seem to find re-refined oil out here - which is odd, I thought CA was the home of recycling? I used to be able to buy the stuff back home all the time...

Avoid Pennzoil like the plague - I have seen entirely too much sludge caused by using Pennzoil (paraffin base...) and the only way I could clean it out was to tear the engine down and SCRAPE it out. It's little more than a layer of wax build-up that gets all over everything, and doesn't help much...

HTH, YMMV

5-90
I second Valvoline. U can get it full synthetic or in a blend or regular oil. Hilarious comment about Pennzoil! I couldn't agree more, especially after looking at a couple of engine tear downs and seeing all the heavy sludge buildup!

ROADLESS said:
I second Valvoline. U can get it full synthetic or in a blend or regular oil. Hilarious comment about Pennzoil! I couldn't agree more, especially after looking at a couple of engine tear downs and seeing all the heavy sludge buildup!

Back when I was building engines for extra money, I had actually taken some of that sludge and made candles out of it for people to see!

Yes, they would actually burn like regular candles, just with a somewhat dirtier flame. Still, lighting one of those was usually all it took to get people to swear off the stuff, and I would actually make it a condition of service - if I saw that an engine I'd built had been run on Pennzoil (or Quaker State then, but I understand they are no longer using the paraffin base...) you paid FULL COST for repair parts and labour - I couldn't tell if I'd done anything wrong anymore. I see no reason to re-institute a similar policy once I get back into engine work.

5-90

Run Mobil 1 Synthetic in both Jeeps and love it. Noticed smoother running engines (4.0 and 3.7) and the stuff doesn't look nearly as bad when it comes back out at 3K as conventional oil did. Only draw back is when I first started running it, it quickly (with in 300-500 miles) made my rear main and oil pan seals start seeping. But soo far they're still seeping, and not leaking....so im not too concerned about it right now.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Only draw back is when I first started running it, it quickly (with in 300-500 miles) made my rear main and oil pan seals start seeping.
Often, changing the brand of oil (synthetic or petroleum) you use will stop that kind of leak as easily as it got started; I can't explain why but in my (vast) experience, it's been so.

Motorcraft oil is some good stuff. the 10w30 is semisyn and costs $2.20 qt here in MI The 5w20 that I have to run in my Expy is full syn for same money. I use the Motorcraft unless they are out of 10w30-like last time- then it's Castrol or Valvoline.Incidentally I was chatting with the Department Manager at Wallyworld last week and he said that the SuperTech stuff is recycled. He didn't think their Synth was recycled though.

FWIW

Flame suit on here but I dont use Fram filters (see bobistheoilguy.com) Purolater or the Supertech (same as ACDelco).

Back