• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Install

o2bgpn

NAXJA Forum User
Recently the throw-out bearing went on my Jeep so I install a new clutch kit. While searching for a few odds and ends on this site I couldn’t find where anyone posted procedures for this time consuming task. So here’s my baby getting a new clutch, pressure plate, et al. Let me know what I missed in the way of pics or explanations.

http://itsatj.com/gallery/v/MikezModifications/clutch/

Mike

BTW, the clutch works great.

Excellent, detailed writeup, thanks from all of us with manual transmissions. Only thing I did differently was leave transfer case and tranny as one unit.

Just FYI there are different shifter linkage types in the xj. Some bolt all to the transmission and some incorporated the body with a cross bar. There is also a tool that separates the lower shifter from the upper part of the shifter. I had the tool number at one time in an 84 FSM but I loaned it out. :scottm: Maybe some day I'll see that guy again. :twak: An exelent writ up though you should submit it for our tech pages.

when I did mine i left the t-case attached to the tranny. was a bit heaveier but seemed liked a good idea.

Good pixs. When are you going to do front axles or "Regearing at home for the Dummys." I want two copys of them. Thanks.
I like to check the flywheel with an edge for uneven wear. Sometimes hard to see when laying on your back. The wheel can not be ground as most can, but many shops can turn then. Just insure that the same about is removed from the outer ring as from the iner sufface. The cost of turning one in this manner can be more then getting a good used one. That's if you can find a used one
You can gain some clamping force with a NEW disk by taking less off the out ring then the inner surface or adding spacers. I have used .10 as my limit on this with good results. The down side is that as the disk gets thinner you lose clamping force much sooner then normal. It's a trade off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words all. I did go a little overboard with the pics just because I knew I was going to post here. Yes the trans/transfer can be removed as one unit, and I suspect most of the time it is. I did have a leaking seal so I just pulled everything apart as I went.

Ghost, I saw the references to extra crossbars and different linkages in the FSM, but I didn’t have them on mine so I didn’t want to comment on something I didn’t have a clue about. Good to point out not all Cherokees are created equal.

Also, good info on the flywheel, Badron. Mine looked in very good shape so I didn’t even research what to do if it was bad, I was just regurgitating what the FSM said to look for.

Mike

For search purposes: transmission adapter seal, pilot bearing, transfer case

Back