• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head gasket?

cjsxj87

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i go and check the oil in my xj and it was good but i opened up the oil filler and when i opened it the oil was a yellow color. I i heard thats a sign of a blown head gasket? is that true? If not what are the signs? Its a 87 4.0 154,143 miles. Thank you.

Blown head gasket?

Loss of compression in adjacent cylinders.
Loss of compression and hydrocarbons present in coolant
(These are typical)

Unaccounted-for coolant loss and excessively clean cylinder(s)
Oil leaking (typically from PAX side of engine)
(atypical)

There are others - but you do have some sort of oil contamination happening. Does the yellowish stuff look like shaving cream as well? That tends to happen when the coolant gets frothed into the oil by the oil pump...

5-90

5-90 said:
Blown head gasket?

Loss of compression in adjacent cylinders.
Loss of compression and hydrocarbons present in coolant
(These are typical)

Unaccounted-for coolant loss and excessively clean cylinder(s)
Oil leaking (typically from PAX side of engine)
(atypical)

There are others - but you do have some sort of oil contamination happening. Does the yellowish stuff look like shaving cream as well? That tends to happen when the coolant gets frothed into the oil by the oil pump...

5-90
Agreed. I recently changed the head gasket due to the typical passenger side oil fountain i had.
If your oil is in fact yellow-ish, look also at your coolant.it may or may not also look similar.
But your water and oil are probably mixing, which, my friend, is none-too-good for the ol' main baerings.I wouldnt drive it till you diagnose the problem.

Back